XX| Just friends

|Vera Maklakova|

"Hey darling, how's everything going?" Archibald asked as soon as I answered his call.

A deep sigh left my mouth with my eyes on the mirror, looking at my drained reflection "Diavolo accepted my help, but regarding the other subject it seems as if he wants to be miserable forever...I understand his loyalty and faithfulness towards Davina, but I feel like it's reaching a toxic level for him; he needs to move on, and I'm not just saying it because I wish he would take a chance with me, but because this path has a dark ending."

The blond on the other side of the line took a deep breath—he has been my therapist the past few months, and I understand this subject can get tiring "It's not your responsibility to take care of him; we've talked about this so many times, Vera."

My hands leaned on the sink's countertop with my head hanging low "I love him, Archibald, you know how much I love Diavolo and having him so close without being able to do—"

"You need to come back to Russia," he told "do you think this is going to end nicely for you?"

"Diavolo—"

"I don't give a fuck about Diavolo; he hurt you," he stated. "I'll marry you and give you however many kids you want, Vera, but please leave the side of a person who only seems to be drowning you," Archibald was truly begging.

I picked up my phone and made my way out of the bathroom "I don't need your pity sperm, imbecile. What I do need is for you to speed up everything I asked you to do so we can start on this mission as soon as possible. Does that satisfy you, suka?"

(Bitch.)

Archibald let out a deep sigh "I'll order cases of your favorite vodka for when you come back with a broken heart."

My eyes rolled back "Whatever, bye," I hung up.

After ten seconds, he called me so I picked up "You didn't let me wish you good night, baby: good night, darling," Archibald said tenderly.

A soft smile curved my lips; he's a charmer "Goodnight, baby, I love you."

"I love you more," he whispered as if it was a secret; he's so silly. "Bye bye."

"Bye," I chuckled and then hung up.

Archibald is my best friend so there's no reason for me not to love and adore him till the end of the universe. What about our sexual relationship? Well, we fuck when we are both in dire need of intimacy, but it's purely sexual—it's hard for me to trust new people—and he has other sexual partners so I make him have blood tests every two weeks, even if he wears condoms.

Once I was in bed, under the sheets, I pressed play to To Catch a Thief which I've never seen in my life but Archibald said it's great so I'll watch it. Snow and Autumn are in their dad's room, sleeping on his bed and waiting for him to come back.  The movie is entertaining and good which is a given when it comes to Hitchcock films. When it came to an end, I reached in the upper drawer of my nightstand to pull out a notebook I left here before going back to Russia. The first entry is short and sad and concise:

Nobody seems to love me, even if everyone says they do. I don't know what day is it, and I don't mind because there's nothing I need to get to or someone I ought to meet...I just wish my мама was with me.

I flipped through it until I reached the last written page:

January 22nd, 2021

Today I'm supposed to leave this place, and I don't want to. I've been up all night, thinking about what will happen when I go back and how my relationship with my family will be strained for the rest of my life; I don't wish to fight with my parents, especially not the woman who carried me and not the love of my life whom I chose...it all seems so twisted and it's immensely confusing which is why I don't wan to leave. I've seen to have found what belongs where in this house, and I feel something quite confusing, and deep for Diavolo...when we kissed my world was turned upside down.