XXIV| On trail

|Vera Maklakova|

I hummed, bending over the desk to enter the username I need to access my organization's database "Angel can we just take a nap or something?" Diavolo asked as he gripped my hips, standing behind me.

"No handsome, we are busy," I typed in the password and felt him flip up my skirt "it seems like you want to have a snack more than anything else."

Diavolo groaned "You did dress to be eaten. We've been down here the entire day, it's time to take a break and maybe take a breath of fresh air."

I giggled, feeling him humping me with all the patience in the world "Baby–" my phone rang and I knew it was Archibald due to the ringtone; I immediately picked up "Hey, Archie," Diavolo increased the pace of his humping which was serving its purpose on my core.

"Darling we have something, and you're not going to like it," he told.

"Okay, I'll call you from the computer," I hang up and stood up straight. "Diavolo they found something," I told and he instantly ceased his movements.

"What did he find?" he stood beside me, with his eyes on me.

"I don't know baby, he's about to tell us," I pressed the button on-screen to call Archibald and he instantly appeared in front of me. "Tell me everything," I sat down on the chair behind me and crossed my arms.

Archibald is in his usual navy blue suit, with his sleeves rolled up and a pen between his right ear and head "Do you remember those trials your father created when we first started dating?"

"Yeah, I shut them down almost three years ago," they were nonsense and nobody had fun but the rich white men who gambled. It was an event of non-stop trials for potential assassins to be hired by the families.

He hummed "The last cargo of bullets with the engraving you sent me was used during the last trials but the serial number is missing from inventory–"

"They were stolen," Diavolo said.

"But they were never reported to your father or anyone for that matter," Archie said. "Your uncle spoke to the event manager of that night and he said he remembers being in the bathroom one minute and the next one waking up in a janitor's closet; he never reported it, afraid your father would kill him."

"He would have," I sighed deeply. "Can you please send me the list of the assassins on trail that night?"

"Already on it, princess," he smiled softly "Facebook pages and everything," his comment made me chuckle. "We'll find them Diavolo," Archie's eyes diverted to Diavolo "if there's someone who can do it, that's Vera."

My cheeks turned red as I gazed at Diavolo "Then you'll kill them and can do whatever you want with your life."

"Yeah," he stepped back and sat down on the edge of the bed; he seemed dizzy.

I looked back at the screen "Keep me posted, Archie," I hang up and got up on my feet to join him on the bed. "What's wrong, Diavolo?" my right arm wrapped around his shoulders to rub his arm and hold him close.

Diavolo sniffled as tears rolled down his cheeks "If I had done more research you would still have a family..." his eyes fell to the floor.

A frown appeared upon my face "Diavolo, you were acting out of rage and desperation; you know I understand what you were feeling, and I don't blame you for what happened to my parents because that's how it was supposed to happen...I'm just happy I met you along the way," he immediately turned his head to look at me. "I'm sure Dimitri would've done what he did sooner or later," my thumbs wiped his tears away. "I'm working through it and I'm grateful to have such wonderful friends such as you and Archie and Elias and Jacob," a light smile curved my lips. "Davina was the love of your life, Diavolo and it's reasonable that you would go to extreme lengths to punish those who hurt her."