II| Emilia and the dawn of everything

[Diavolo DeLuca]

Snow and Autumn have been back from the veterinarian for two hours and they haven't stopped sniffing my legs which they always do after they come back from being bathed. Sometimes I think they believe I have another dog hidden and just send them to be groomed so I can cheat on them with that other dog or maybe they like the smell of laundry detergent.

"This is the last box, boss," Jacob said placing the big cardboard box on the dining table. "Might you need anything else?"

I shook my head "No, you can go back to your post; sorry for bothering you."

"It's quite all right, boss," he softly smiled. "It's my job," Jacob gently waved before leaving.

I took a seat the head of the table and picked up the knife to open one of the boxes which is a gift for Lilia. On the inside there was the box of a brand new MacBook Pro, the most expensive one since I feel like she might need the space for her papers and for the books she wants to write. I set that to aside to open a smaller box with black mouse in it and the last box for Lilia was a black Herschel sleeve in it.

From under the table, I grabbed the big box which will hold the gifts in it. After securing it with tape, I used a the matte white wrapping paper to make it look like a gift. It took me around fifteen minutes to do a pretty bow with the black ribbon but in the end I surprised myself. This sad man can still do some things right.

Once the box was in the passenger seat, and my dogs in the back, I hopped into the driver's side to start the ride which won't be long since Lilia lives in the countryside because both of her parents work at a nearby winery.

"Are you ready, guys?" A soft smile appeared on my lips as I looked through the rear view mirror and was met with the sight of both of my dogs with their sunglasses on; they have to wear them because they like to peek their head out the window and I don't want anything to get in their eyes. "I'll take your silence so s yes," before stepping on the gas, I rolled down their windows.

The ten-minute drive was tranquil, especially since Autumn didn't bark at any cars. Once outside the gorgeous country house with vines of green hanging from the ceiling and covering almost every inch of the walls, I hopped off to let the dogs out so they can go bark at the door while I get the box. Lilia's dad's red truck wasn't outside so it must mean that they didn't come for lunch but Peter's, the English tutor, car was indeed parked outside which is normal since today is Lilia's day off so instead of two hours of tutoring, they have four.

After a few barks, Lilia opened the door; her dark brown hair was sorta messy which wouldn't have awoken a suspicion in me if it hadn't been for unbuttoned jeans which she obviously didn't notice "Hi, Diavolo," her cheeks turned a deep shade of red "I didn't know you were coming."

"Well, it was supposed to be a surprise," a soft smile played on my lips.

"And you cut your hair!" She crossed her arms and let out a nervous chuckle, as if she was in a rush to get me out of there. "What can I do for you?"

"I brought you a gift," my eye glanced at the box in my arms. "Can I come in? I would like you to open it."

Lilia glanced to her right which is where the living room is "Yes! You can come in, Diavolo!" She exclaimed as if she wanted someone else to hear her. The girl stepped aside to let me and the dogs through.