XXXIII| Bloody fight

|Vera Maklakova|
|Years prior|

"Stop his fucking match!" I exclaimed to the person on the phone – I have a separate phone for business, so breaking one won't stop me from making a phone call.

"Why should I? Your brother attracts a lot of people and with those people–"

"I'll pay you double," I interrupted. "But stop the bloody fight!"

"I'll try but it might be too late," she chuckled.

I just hung up. No one can fucking do anything for me, I have to fix fucking everything. The thing is, if you don't do me a favour I'll punish you for free. Especially when the request is as personal as this one.

Once I arrived to the venue – a warehouse – security recognised me and prioritised my entrance above the people who were in line. Usually you would've to pay hundreds of thousands of euros to enter, and go through security but rules are different when it comes to me or anyone with a powerful name. Especially being my dad's daughter.

I rushed through the broad corridor that leads towards the stage; if my brother hasn't taken a beating by now, I'll take care of it. He knew how important tonight was for me – I've never introduced a boyfriend to him. Something must be really wrong with Milan, which is another reason to get him the fuck out of here before he takes a life he has not been paid to take. It's never happened, he's composed, but if something has happened with his mum, I wouldn't put it past him.

My bodyguards opened the crowd for me. The tables were not only filled by members of various crime families, but also by royalty of various countries. They all know who I am, I've been attending these events since I have use of reason. Once the line of sight was uninterrupted I saw my brother in the fighting in the fighting pit.

"Fuck," I muttered, looking down as I stood on the overlooking level of the venue. There's a lower level, but it doesn't have as good of a view.

This is where I first met my brother; Milan's mum has never liked it here, so my dad took advantage of that to bring him alone. It became the place where we always saw each other, and we would always run around after the event was over. As we grew up and saw each other less and less, I would come here as often as I could with hopes of seeing my brother. He's the main reason why I decided to move part-time to London – he's been a headache since then, but he's family so I would go to the ends of the Earth for him.

When I spotted the woman in charge of the place, the pit master, I rushed to her "Stop the fucking fight, Saskia," I sternly ordered, not an ounce of patience left in my body.

Saskia grinned as she leaned over the bannister, and took a sip of her drink "There's over 25 million in bets tonight, Vera – I will do no such thing. This is my playground, your daddy's name doesn't intimidate me," she cheered as my brother stumbled after getting his torso kicked. This isn't his first fight tonight, I can see it in how beaten he looks.

My patience was exhausted, as it always is with anyone in this business who treats me as my dad's daughter. Saskia has now created a problem for me, and I'll create a bigger one for her.

I reached for the gun in one of my bodyguard's shoulder holster and shot at my brother's opponent's calf. The sound of the loose round brought the place to silence, and everyone's eyes to me, especially my brother's when his opponent fell to his knees in front of him "It's my name that you should fear," I quickly shifted my aim to shoot Saskia's foot, and she cried in pain.

"Fuck!" She groaned as she fell to the floor, reaching for her foot.

Her security quickly approached us and mine stopped them "How's that for intimidation?" I turned around and the people parted like the Red Sea. Everyone has heard of the ruthlessness my father inflicts on the people who cross him, and how I have never failed to exceed him.