Prologue

Gather around listeners and let me tell you a story about a world that many people have not heard of. You all are familiar with fairytale and folktale characters, aren't you? Snow White, The Little Mermaid, Goldilocks, Rapunzel, Robin Hood, the list goes on. Every time we hear one of those stories they always end with "And they lived happily ever after", but what if I were to tell you that their stories don't stop at that common phrase at the end of a tale?

What if I were to tell you that the descendants of your favorite fairy tale characters were witches and wizards? Now when I say witches and wizards, I'm not referring to the one who tried to fatten up Hansel and Gretel or the wizard, Merlin from King Arthur.

Let me be more specific.

This story follows a young girl named Rowan Bailie, the descendant of Little Red. Someone who was forced to live as a normal girl in London to keep her witch powers a secret. From the people of London and a power-hungry wizard.

Rowan wasn't as interested in living in England more than her hometown, Grimmdale. What is the place called Grimmdale you might ask? Grimmdale is a hidden world where the descendants of fairytale characters can use their witch and wizard abilities without having interference with anyone outside of Grimmdale.

How could I call Grimmdale a safe haven if there is a power-hungry wizard around? Now I never said Grimmdale was always a safe place to live.

Grimmdale was once under the rule of Gareth Le Fay, the descendant of Morgan Le Fay. No one was safe under his rule. That was until a group of students from Grimmdale Academy took it upon themselves to fight back. Everyone fought bravely until Gareth was killed and the people of Grimmdale were able to live in independence and not in tyranny. Or so they thought.

Years and years after Gareth was defeated, his son, Arthur rose to power as the next heir and issued an attack on the person who killed his father. That person was Harkin Bailie, Rowan's father. Poor Rowan was only nine when he died, leaving her and her mom alone.

For safety reasons, Rowan's mother sent her to go live with Harkin's sister, Faela, and her husband Jasper in London in case Arthur would attack their home again. Even though Arthur was arrested and taken to Grimmdale Penitentiary. That doesn't sound like a big deal I know, but Arthur has taken the powers of so many people, the citizens weren't sure when he might escape wreaking havoc all over Grimmdale again. Sadly, he has gotten that chance to do so.

If he was defeated and sentenced to prison, what happened exactly? Get comfortable, I'm about to tell you.