Chapter six

It was just me and Carmine in my dorm. Amity and Willow went to go meet up with some friends of theirs. I'm going through the box that Headmaster Grimm gave to me while I waited on my skirt to finish washing. Headmaster Grimm must have taken all of this stuff when dad died and he wanted to remember him. In the box was a silver ring, a gold coin, and a ruby. 

My dad, Headmaster and Vice Headmaster Grimm, and Professor Piper went on a lot of adventures when they were my age. Adventures that could have gotten them killed multiple times, but they were able to get through it alive and out of trouble. Not necessarily out of trouble.

They were always caught by their headmaster. Now that I think about it, dad would only talk about Vice Headmaster Grimm and Professor Piper. Going back to the conversation that I had with Headmaster Grimm, dad wanted to be forgiven and he wasn't getting that. He must have felt like that Headmaster Grimm didn't care, so he would shut him out when it came to talking about his memories of this school. 

I put the box away on my dresser and decided to go on a walk around the school. There were more students outside in the courtyard. Some students waved and welcomed me while others turned their noses up. I know I shouldn't be worried about trying to fit in, but that's all I could think about. 

Mom always told me to not worry about what others say, but it's hard to do that. Maybe I can get to know some of my classmates, even though everyone knows who I am. Everywhere I walked, I heard people address me as Harkin Bailie's kid or the former headmaster's daughter. That is not the label I want. Rowan Bailie is fine, please and thank you. 

The students who give me dirty looks probably see me as cold and stuck up. Their heads are probably filled with stories based on the experiences their parents had with my dad. Probably the fake ones like my dad cursed my mom to love him and she's still in a trance. The lies adults tell to their kids. 

Talking to the other students haven't been easy. I might have came off as too keen or some of the students wouldn't want to say anything. I knew that this would be difficult. I never made a lot of friends back in London. What makes me think that I would be able to since I'm back home?  

I decided to give up and go back to my dorm. Someone was shouting at me and I stopped. It was a boy. He had black hair that bobbed as he ran towards me. When he stopped running, he took off his headphones and put them around his neck. 

"You must be Rowan, right?" The boy asked. 

I nodded, "Yes, I am."

"I'm Yuki, Yuki Kuwata." Yuki introduced, holding his hand out. "Descendant of Snow White."

"Oh, I know you." I mentioned, "You're family helps my mom with her fashion events." 

"Yes that's them." Yuki smiled, "I adore your parents work." 

"I appreciate that Yuki, I'll be sure to let mom know." I grinned, "If you don't mind me asking, why did you come out all this way to come find me?"

"My friend Jiao Long wanted to meet you." Yuki said, "I know that it sounds a little desperate, but Jiao Long is always wiling to make newcomers welcomed." 

I waved my hand dismissively, "No, not at all. I was actually looking for people to talk to, so I'm basically the desperate one."

"Nonsense." Yuki chuckled, "You just haven't found the right people yet."

I followed Yuki through the courtyard and made small talk with him. I found out that he is half-wizard and half-human. He tries not to worry about what people say about him regarding that, but when he speaks about his struggle of trying to fit in, there's a sense of glum in his voice. It turns out that Yuki was a runaway like me and found it hard to fit in when living in Japan and that it was hard to do the same when he came back to Grimmdale.