Chapter two

Blaire and I were dismissed from Headmaster Van Bonavich's office. I don't blame Blaire's parents. I felt like they didn't know about Blaire's true colors. I once thought that Blaire was a nice person too, but clearly that didn't play out well.

I stood out in the hallway, watching Blaire walking by, trying to explain to her mom that she didn't do anything. Her father stopped right in front of me. I glared right back at him and he did the same. I know what he is going to tell me, so I rested my face and held my head low.

"Hold your head up." Mr. Arlington barked, "You're the daughter of a famous fashion designer, aren't you? I'm amazed by what your mother has become."

I raised my head up and lifted my eyebrow, "What do you mean by that?"

"Blaire doesn't know this, but my wife and I went to Grimmdale Academy with your mother and father." Mr. Arlington replied, "I'm the descendant of Jack and my wife is the descendant of the Cheshire cat."

"Really?" I queried, "Do you still do magic or have you given up your abilities permanently?"

"Yes, we still have them because we are still tied to Grimmdale." Mr. Arlington explained, "We are only staying here until Blaire can manifest her abilities. She's a bit of a late bloomer and we'll tell her about us once she gets them. Then we'll move back to Grimmdale. As of right now, we don't use our magic."

"Once she gets her abilities, I'm sure Blaire would get used to it." I smiled, "Whether that is having to wraith around or have earth related abilities."

"Robert, are you coming?" Mrs. Arlington called from down the hallway.

Mr. Arlington looked back at me, "Have a good time at Grimmdale Academy Rowan and I am so sorry about Blaire and what she has done to you. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive."

I nodded my head back at Mr. Arlington as he continued down the hall and disappeared around a corner. Mom, Aunt Charlotte, and Uncle Jasper walked out into the hallway. Mom looked down at me and I looked up at her. She grabbed my arm and pulled me into a hug. How much I have missed her. 

The last thing I remember was my mom telling me that she loves me and tears falling down both of our eyes. Then I walked through the Wych Elm tree and ended up in London. 

"My baby girl, how I have missed you." Mom breathed, "Look at you." 

"I missed you too mom." I grinned, "I was going to graduate from here and then go back to Grimmdale to help you in your fashion designing company, but now I get to live that dream and that I would be able to do that with you."

"That's what you think." Aunt Charlotte interrupted, "You will still be in charge of our theater company and you'll definitely not be going to Grimmdale Academy."

"What?" I choked, "Aunt Charlotte, all of my classmates saw my ears. If I stay here, then everyone is  just going to laugh at me. If I attend Grimmdale though, no won't say a thing about them." 

"Your classmates here can get over it." Uncle Jasper spat, "We aren't letting you go back to attend Grimmdale Academy."

Mom stepped in between the three of us, "Last time I checked Charlotte and Jasper, I sent Rowan here for you to take care of her, not become her parents. I was there for Rowan to make sure she felt comfortable before I sent her to London, even after Harkin died."

"Well you certainly didn't do a good job at that." Aunt Charlotte scoffed, "Rowan would have been better off without you."

Mom pulled out her wand and aimed it towards Aunt Charlotte and Uncle Jasper, "You must have forgotten that I carried Rowan when I was twenty and I was scared of becoming a mother because I thought I wasn't going to be a good one, but I had my parents and your parents help to teach me what I need to know before Rowan was born. I was the one who she called mama, not you."