Chapter four

"Rowan, you're going to be late!" Mom shouted from downstairs.

I shot up awake and grabbed my phone off the side table and looked at the time. I scrambled out of bed and grabbed my uniform out of the closet. Once I got my uniform on, I tossed my blazer to the side, picked up my jacket, and slipped it on. Before I could cover my head, I looked at my ears.

I touched my ears and thought about what mom had said yesterday. In Grimmdale, no one would say anything about my ears. I'm sure I am not the only one who has pointed ears, right? I'm not in London, so what do I have to hide?

I left my hood down and slipped my stockings and shoes on. I picked up my suitcases and grabbed Carmine. I hurried down the stairs and greeted mom once I reached the bottom.

Her eyes were wide and teary eyed when she saw me in my uniform and my hood off my head. I gave her a sincere smile and walked towards her. Mom opened her mouth to say something, but she hugged me instead and started to cry.

"Why are you crying mom?" I giggled, "If anything, it should be me crying because I don't know when I would see you again."

Mom wiped away her tears, "I know it's just...how did it go from me holding you in the hospital from you going to a school like Grimmdale Academy? You're growing up on me."

"I know it seems like time is going by fast, but remember that I would always be your daughter and that you would always be my mom." I simpered, "No matter how old we get."

"Yeah, you will." Mom sniffed, "I guess, I guess that you should start going. You do remember how to get to the train station right? You won't get lost?"

I nodded my head, "I remember, and I don't want you to worry."

"Okay..." Mom sighed, "Well, I'll see you whenever you can come home to visit."

I hugged mom one last time, "Bye mom."

Mom waved goodbye as I headed out of the door and towards the train station. This is it, the day where I can attend my dream school. No bullies. No whispers. No stares. No mocking laughter. I can finally be with people where I fit in.

------

I was running late to the train station. Just because I'm not in London, doesn't mean there aren't any large groups of people. I made it to the train station and right on time too.

Some students were wearing the uniform as it is presented while others had an altercation of theirs. Some had a few extra pockets for smaller pet guides and some had holes in their uniforms if they have tails or wings.

The train horn made a strong blaring sound as the conductor called for everyone to get on board and check for our tickets. I reached inside of my jacket pocket and pulled out my train ticket for the conductor to look at.

The other students lined up and started to walk in the train as the conductor scanned our tickets to make sure they were legible. I handed my ticket to the conductor and heard a satisfying beep from the scanner and he handed me my ticket back, giving me a smile.

Carmine followed me on the train as I walked inside to see the other students taking seats next to their friends. I was walking around, trying to find a seat for me to take on my own or next to someone. My eyes and head wandered around aimlessly until I bumped into someone and fell on the train floor.

I rubbed my head and looked up to see a girl on the ground, trying to get some of her books in her bag. Her hair is white and her eyes are a pretty shade of purple. She stood up off of the ground and so did I. A white ferret scurried past me and climbed up the girl's leg onto her shoulder, hissing at me. Carmine started growling at the girl and her ferret. In fact, the girl looked like she was pissed at me too.