Chapter thirty-one

The next couple of days wasn't so good. Bodies had to be buried. Buildings were still crumbling down. Withered beasts roamed around Grimmdale. Some people couldn't look at their relatives being put to death and writhe around as they transformed into withered beasts. People's homes and shops were still destroyed to where many were now homeless for some time.

Arthur was sentenced to be petrified. When he was, it was like the witch trials in Salem. People surrounding the accused person and said accused are begging for mercy. Arthur isn't begging for mercy and he is not accused of any crimes.

Arthur stood on the platform as Grimmdale Police surrounded him and they had their wands pointed at him. He scowled at me, but I wasn't showing any fear and neither was anyone else. After what Arthur put all of us through, there's no need to show fear.

The police waved their wands and green beams of magic struck Arthur. Chains rattled as Arthur writhed around and his screams echoed around him. He was screaming for us to set him free, but the public didn't show him any sense of kindness. Then he started to apologize. No one accepted his apology.

Stone began to spread all over Arthur's body. Arthur tried to pull away at his chains, but the stone had already engraved them. Arthur screamed and cried until he stopped. Arthur was a statue, his face in a look of anguish.

Then there were times during these grim days that were good and we were able to make the most of it. The people that stayed with mom and I enjoyed hearing me play guitar and sing to them after dinner. Small celebrations were held to celebrate the defeat of Arthur and we even named the day of his defeat Downfall day.

-----

Three days after rebuilding Grimmdale, we had a funeral service for Amity, Christian Andersen, and for the others who have died on the day of Arthur's attack. I haven't seen Rosanne that upset as in terms of losing someone like Amity.

Lumi didn't say much. If she did, then it was a brief answer or a nod from her head. She stayed by my side and held my hand through the whole service. Lumi tried to keep her tears in, but they came down slowly as the funeral went on. May they rest easy.

-----

Months have gone by since the attack on Grimmdale and London. I have turned eighteen and it was the day we all graduated from Grimmdale Academy. It's tradition for Grimmdale to hold a party for graduating students. I like to think of this as a way to take our minds off the events that happened since Arthur.

Everyone was mingling with each other and it looked like it was a normal get together. No one seemed to be worried about anything. No sign of another coming. There have been occasional withered beast scares, but people were able to handle it.

I was standing at the gazebo, looking at my reflection in the pond. It was peaceful in this area of the school, that's why I liked coming here. It's also memorable of the gazebo with the koi pond when I was at Walton Academy.

I felt hands come up from behind me and wrapped around my waist. Lumi pushed her face in the crook of my neck. Lumi and I have been together since December. Before we got together, she stayed at our place 

"Hi." Lumi greeted, kissing me on the cheek.

"Hi." I giggled.

Lumi stepped to the side of me, "What are you thinking about?"

"Nothing." I exhaled, "I'm just admiring this area here."

"It is a nice place." Lumi smiled, "Should have spent time here during lunch. Just you and me."

"Can't believe that it's time for us to graduate." I chuckled, "It feels like only yesterday when I first came to Grimmdale Academy and I met you and everyone else."

"To think I was such a bitter person." Lumi said, "I don't even recognize her anymore."

"I don't recognize the old me either." I simpered, "Well, I haven't changed a whole lot."

"So what are your plans after leaving school?" Lumi asked.

"Until I can get into a design school, I'll work in my mom's dress shop." I replied, "What do you want to do?"

"Travel." Lumi said, "I have always been wanting to do that ever since I was little."

"How are you going to travel?" I queried.

"By boat." Lumi answered, "I hope to get one someday."

I faced Lumi, "I hope you find someone to travel with."

"Actually Rowan." Lumi spoke, "I have been meaning to ask if you want to travel with me? At any given moment where there is a place to explore, I want you to be at the helm next to me."

"Oh Lumi..." I sighed, "What about me going to school?"

"We won't be away at sea forever." Lumi said, "I'll make sure you are still able to attend school."

"If I do say yes, do you promise we will go on adventures on land?" I inquired, "Find treasure or a new place that isn't on the map of Grimmdale?"

Lumi nodded, "Yes, of course. We'll bring back treasures and stories for our friends."

"We'll bring back treasures and stories for all of Grimmdale." I assured, taking Lumi's hand into mine, "We'll be the two musketeers, won't we?"

"Forever." Lumi beamed.

Lumi and I pressed our lips together. Lumi will always be my everything. We'll go through hell and back with each other. If I said no to traveling, Lumi would always be with me. Forever after.