Chapter one

I'm late for school again. It's a good thing I was able to get out of the house late before my aunt and uncle got up from bed. They would never know that I am late for school and that means that I won't get in trouble when I get home. That's if my teacher doesn't call home.

I continued to run, my boots splashing along the puddles on the pavement. Out of all the other days I've been early to school, it just had to rain on this day. Thanks a lot, Mother Nature.

I accidentally bumped into a man and fell on the ground. The droplets dripped on my head and I looked behind me to see the hood of my jacket off my head. I quickly scan the area to make sure no one is looking and I pull the hood over my head. No one can't know about them. 

I picked my bag up off of the ground and continued to run to school. Thankfully, the crowd and rain had let up a little. I made it to school and saw that the gates were now closed. Locked too no telling.

I ran to the back of the school and opened the door. I made it inside and ran to my classroom, straight to my desk. Madame Drossel had her back turned towards the board. If I don't make a lot of noise, maybe she won't notice I was late. 

I crouched low to the floor and made my way to my seat. I sat down and sighed with a smile on my when Drossel didn't turn around. I placed my bag on the ground and placed my textbook on my desk. Madame Drossel's hand stopped moving. 

Please don't turn around, please don't turn around, please don't turn around.

Madame Drossel faced me, "I'm glad to see that you have decided to join class today. You're late again, Ms. Bailie." 

"Sorry Madame, it was the-"

"The rain and the crowds." Madame Drossel finished, "Well if you want to avoid the rain, crowds, and get to school on time, I suggest that you move at the pace of a hare and not a tortoise."

The whole class snickered to one another and whispered to the people next to them. With the clap of her hands, Madame Drossel got the whole class to quiet down. That didn't stop anyone from whispering and teasing me. A piece of balled-up paper hit me in the head and landed by my foot.

I bent over and picked up the paper. I looked at it and glanced over to three girls laughing and hunched over in their chairs. Blaire, Addy, and Josie, the drama queens and snakes at Walton Academy. If they so much as break a nail, then they're complaining about it. They will pretend to be your friend one day and then they will tell your secrets the next. That's what happened to poor Justine Carmichael, who left after Blaire and her friends posted a video of Justine falling into the pig trough at her family farm. 

The paper was a picture of poorly drawn me with an arrow using the insult, weird bitch. I balled the paper back up and tossed it to my side. 

All the insults they have came up with are getting old. They aren't even good. Sounds like something that is used in one of those cheesy high school teen movies. 

The good thing though is that I don't see them everywhere I go and I have a plan of leaving school without them finding me afterwards.   

------

It was time for lunch and everyone rushed to the dining area. I usually grab my lunch and go sit alone outside. There's this garden area we have in the back of the school that not a lot of people go to, but that's what I like about it. Beds of flowers lined up with one another. It reminds of the small garden that we had in the back of the house where I grew up, so maybe that's why I'm so drawn to this place. 

A little koi pond sits in front of a marble bench. The cooks give me a bowl of fruit for me to take and feed them to the koi. Today they are eating apple slices.