Chapter 1 (Edited)

The beginning is always today.
—Mary Shelley

Heavy raindrops splattered against the windows of the cute little yellow bungalow of the mother and daughter, Dora and Tara Bullock. 

Tara had been awake long before the alarm screamed that she should be. She’d spent the entire night tossing and turning restlessly.

After staring at the bleak ceiling for a couple of minutes, Tara decided it was time to stop avoiding fate and face the long day ahead. She said her prayers, went about her morning routine, and last and not least, she went to the next room to greet her mother good morning.

She rapped gently on the door, and after hearing a muffled “come in” from inside, she nudged her way into the room.

Dora Bullock appeared to have just finished her morning prayers herself, seeing as she used the bed to push herself up from her knees when Tara entered.

“Good morning, Mom,” said Tara with a slight smile.

“Good morning, dear. How was your night?” Dora asked with a smile.

Tara's shoulders slumped and she heaved a sigh. “The same as all the others, with the usual sleeplessness.”

Dora sent her a compassionate smile. “Don’t worry; everything will be alright. Just continue having faith in God, and He will set everything right.”

“I know He will. It just… sometimes things just get overwhelming.” Tara’s gaze darted to the clock, and the realization crashed over her that they only had an hour to leave the house to both get to work on time.

Dora glanced back to see what Tara was looking at. After seeing the time herself, she gave a tight-lipped smile and turned back to Tara.

"Just keep holding onto Him. He never fails." Dora said and patted Tara on her arm.

After the brief talk between mother and daughter, they went to get ready for work. They walked to the nearest bus stop and took separate taxis to their different places of work.

Before she knew it, Tara sat at her desk at Bee’s Interiors, where she worked as a junior graphics designer. Someday, she dreamed of owning her own company in the industry, but without a college diploma, that seemed unlikely to happen. And with her current financial state, earning a diploma would be an undertaking of its own.

Even so, Tara’s first two years working at Bee’s Interiors had served her well, and she’d made beautiful friends working there. Alice and Jay always had her back, and she’d become almost a daughter to her boss, Mrs. B. Ade.

Despite Tara having no degree and only a few months in an elective graphic design course under her belt, Mrs. Ade had taken a chance with her. The gamble had paid off. Tara showed immense creativity and quickly became the best designer in the company. The company’s graphic requests multiplied because of her work.

As Tara shuffled through the pile of papers on her desk, she realized she had her work cut out for her. Today would be one of many days full of requests.

Weariness weighed on her and she stifled a groan. She prayed for strength to see to all her responsibilities regardless of any obstacle she might face. 

                           ★★★★

Dora got to work an hour after leaving the house. Her passion for teaching had begun in childhood and lingered throughout her life, making her an excellent fit for a second-grade teacher at the expensive school on the other side of town.

Despite her love for the work, it could be stressful. Especially during exams and test periods, Dora often became swamped with work. Here and there, she would take work home and lose beauty sleep to keep up.

However, her dedication and contribution paid off. The prestigious Best Teacher award has come her way thrice in her 17 years in the educational field. Dora wore that fact as a badge of honor. As she settled in at her desk, she realized today began a month of exams for her students. Her help and guidance would be crucial. 

After hours of preparing and marking exam scripts, she finally got a few minutes of break. She slumped into her seat and heaved a tired sigh. Her mind drifted to Tara and her heart squeezed.  Tara's bloodshot eyes and exhausted face were a constant reminder of the wounds and pain she battled with both in her waking and sleeping hours

Dora looked heavenward and she said a silent prayer for her daughter.

Lord, heal Tara of whatever is tormenting her. 

                         ★★★★★

Yippee, the journey has started. I am so excited. Are you?

So I want to thank everyone who is reading this book, God bless you greatly ❤️

Questions of the chapter: How long is or was the journey from your house to work or school?

I am homeschooled, so the journey from my bed to my desk is two minutes. And to work, it is a maximum of 15 minutes.

See you in the next chapter 😍

Aha, If you want you can shower me with that little star in the corner 😁😁 I will be so happy 🤩

Until next time, remain blessed ❤