Chapter 22 (Edited)

Though we want to be close with others, we maintain a distance so we won’t be hurt. —Yong Kang Chan

"So, how are things?” Alice asked Tara as they sat in the company’s cafeteria two weeks later.

“Things have been good,” Tara responded with a smile.

“I hope that man hasn’t been bothering you?” Alice questioned as she bit into her sandwich.

Martinez’s menacing expression he sent her four days ago when she stepped into the conference room flashed through her eyes. 

Tara shook her head to clear her thoughts.

“What would you do if he did?” Tara asked as she toyed with the straw of her milkshake.

“I will teach him a lesson for messing with my friend,” Alice said in a leveled voice.

“And you will lose your job,” Tara retorted. “You will become his enemy and he would do everything to destroy you.” She shook her head and picked up her ham sandwich. 

Alice chortled. “Was that supposed to make me afraid? I am saying it again; I am not scared of him.” 

Tara rolled her eyes. “Okay, fine. But please don’t do something stupid because of him or me." Tara sent her a pleading stare. "God is on my side, so I am not worried about him or anything else.”

Alice sent her a smile and nodded in agreement. “Fine! But you must tell me if he does anything.” 

Tara nodded but had no intention of doing so.

They both returned to their meals as the other staff chatted around them.

Tara felt eyes on her and she looked up. A huge grin spread across her face as she waved at the figure at the door.

Alice noticed her excitement and looked behind her. She smirked as she faced Tara. “Ooh, your crush is here.”

Tara’s cheek turned pink as she muttered, “That’s not true. I am not crushing on him.”

Alice raised a brow and said, “Oh? I don’t believe that.” 

“Well, believe it.” Tara squirmed and she darted her eyes down.

Alice placed her sandwich on the plate, crossed her arms, and leaned over. “To tell you the truth, Tara. I haven’t seen you smile so much in the last three years since I met you. But ever since Philip came into your life, there has been a glow around you.”

Tara shook her head vigorously. “You can’t be right. I can’t crush on him." A frown marred her face. “I can’t crush on anyone, Ali!”

“Why can’t you?” Alice tilted her head to the side.

“B-because-I just can’t...” she trailed off and clenched her fists. 

“Oh, I see. You are letting your past control your present.” Alice placed a hand on Tara’s clenched fist and leaned forward. “I know it is hard, but you need to start a new life without worrying about the scars of your past.”

Tara shook her head as she struggled to hold in her tears. She didn’t want to have a breakdown in front of her colleagues. “I just can’t give my heart to anyone,” she whispered.

“Well, try. You deserve to live a happy life.” Alice patted Tara’s hand that lay limply on the chipped red table.

Tara drew in a breath as she slowly stood up. The chair squeaked as she pushed it back. 

She looked at her friend with dimmed eyes. “I understand what you are saying, but I am not ready for a relationship. I hope you understand.” Her lips curled into a small smile.