Chapter 29 (Edited)

‘For I will restore health to you and heal you of your wounds,’ says the Lord.  -Jeremiah 30:17 NKJV

                          ★★★★★★

  The wind picked up and whipped at the attires of the two figures.

Shrubs and trees danced to the beats of the wind. 

The moon cast a silvery glow on the figures as they stared at each other in agony. 

A chilly breeze coursed through Tara and she struggled to control her tears. 

Her eyes blurred with tears and her ears perked up at the ruffling of the grass. 

A figure appeared in front of her. She blinked back tears and stared into the bleak face of Philp. 

The wrinkles and worry lines on his face made him look older than his 25 years of age.

More tears fell as her guilt increased. 

“Why, Tara?” he rasped out.

Her eyes clouded over as she fought to give a response. 

“Why can’t you be my girlfriend?” His eyes dimmed as he spoke. 

The chirping of the crickets hovered in the background as Philip waited for a response. 

“Because I don’t deserve you,” Tara muttered after moments of silence. 

“What?!” His brows furrowed. “Who told you that?” His voice rose. 

Tara gave a sad smile. “No one. I know it.” More tears rushed forward.

He shook his head with force. “That’s a lie!” 

“No, it is not!” She took a shaky breath and stepped away. “I have done stupid things.” 

The icy breeze slapped her and sand touched her lips. More tears rushed out. 

“Yes, it is!” He exclaimed with a loud voice. “And we all do stupid things.”

She shook her head, closed her eyes, and let her tears pour out.

Nothing was stopping the storm raging in her heart. 

Philip marched up to her and said with a voice thick with emotion, 
“If anything, I am the one not deserving of you.” 

She swung to face him and gaped at him. “What do you mean?” Her forehead wrinkled.

He gave a wry laugh and stepped back. “I have probably done worse than you can imagine, Tara.” 

Tara blinked as she stared at him in shock. “What do you mean by that?”

Her dress billowed at her ankle as the wind continued its torment over the earth. 

Philip closed his eyes for a brief second and turned to face her with red eyes. 
“You know I had a brother, right?”

Tara nodded. “Why do you always refer to him like it is the past?” Her brows scrunched. 

Pain danced in his eyes as he gazed at her and uttered a statement that shook her to the core.

“Because my brother, Nico, is dead.” 

She gasped and stumbled back. “What?!” she choked out. Her eyes bulged open.

Tara watched as tears filled his eyes. He clenched his fists by his side.