Chapter 30 (Edited)

Letting go of your painful past is how you open yourself to a wonderful future. - Bryant. H. McGill

Tara's feet carried her to the door as a knock on the door resonated.

The keys jiggled as she turned it.

Opening the door, Philip's somber face greeted her. A cold gust of wind blew on her face.

Philip cracked a small smile as he stood straight with his hands in his pockets. His white T-shirt was damp from the rain that was showering the Earth.

Tara gave a smile that mirrored his own. She stepped to the side to let him pass.

As he passed, she got a whiff of his cologne and her heart sped up. They scent gave her a feeling of belonging.

The wind picked up, and the rain fell harder. She shut the door to prevent the wind and rain from sipping in.

Their eyes connected when she whirled around and they gazed at each other.

Her eyes roamed over his face. There were frown lines stretched across his forehead, but the defeated look he wore two days ago wasn't there.

She breathed a sigh of relief.

He cleared his throat, and she blinked. A tint of red appeared on her cheeks.

She walked past him and headed towards the living room. He took his place beside her. Tara's heart pounded faster as they neared their destination.

A cloud of tension loomed over them.

She gesticulated to the couch as they entered the living room.

"Please have your seat," she whispered with downcast eyes.

She watched as he crossed over and sat up straight. She wrung her fingers as her stomach squirmed with unease.

Perceiving eyes on her, she looked up and met Philip's gaze.

An expression she couldn't decipher crossed his face.

"Would you like something to drink?"

He shook his head. "No, thank you."

Nodding her head, she wandered over to the armchair opposite the couch where Philip sat.

She sank into the black leather armchair, but she didn't get any comfort. Their eyes met and they stared at each other.

A canopy of silence overshadowed them. Outside, the rain continued its torrents.

"How are you, Tara?" Philip finally asked after several minutes of silence.

"I have been good." She looked down and played with her fingers.

"Great." He crossed his fingers in front of him.

"How have you been?" They briefly made eye contact before she looked away.

"As good as the circumstances allow." Another unreadable expression flickered in his eyes.

Another episode of silence descended upon them.

Heavy raindrops smashed against the windows and the wind howled.

Philip sighed. "Why did you call me?"

Tara swallowed hard, and her feet curled in her slippers. "Because I wish to talk to you." Her heart thumped in her chest.

"What do you want to talk about?" He tilted his head.

"My past." She swallowed hard and wrung her fingers.