Chapter 8 (Edited)

Meetings can be a lot of fun or they can be frustrating.
- Bob Weir

A few weeks went by, and then Tara received a summons to an important meeting. The last time Mrs. Ade had called for a meeting had been the time she'd dropped the news about her new partnership. Now, Tara could only wonder if this one would be equally significant.

Or even more important, for that matter. The only difference between this summons and the last was that key workers had been invited, not the entire company. Mrs. Ade had stated in her email invitation that Tara was a valuable asset to the company and would need to be involved.

That acknowledgment struck Tara as both an honor and a burden.

Flattering, but riddled with expectations. Tara's stomach churned as she headed to the conference room, rubbing clammy palms together as she went. She couldn't help but fear the two boss men had called the meeting because something had gone wrong and someone needed to be punished.

When she entered the conference room, she found her way to an empty seat next to the infamous Jay. Whether she actually saw a smirk on his lips in her peripheral or only imagined it based on past experience, she couldn't tell. But surely it had to be there.

"Oh no, look who you got stuck with," Jay said, grinning.

Tara rolled her eyes. "You'd better behave. This isn't the place and time for your childish antics."

Jay threw a mock salute. "Yes, ma'am. I shall be on my best behavior."

"I sure hope so."

Tara averted her eyes from Jay to eye the newcomers. Mr. Marcello had just entered with a smile already pasted on his face, while Mr. Angelo followed, expressionless. Nobody seemed to know what stirred in his mind, behind those eyes that betrayed nothing. Most of the staff had their reservations about him for that reason.

The two bosses took their seats at the upper part of the table alongside Mrs. Ade. When a company has three bosses, Tara thought, there can't be a chair at the head of the table.

Mr. Angelo cleared his throat to gain the attention of everyone present. All eyes snapped to him, and nobody spoke a word. Tara listened attentively.

"Good morning, everyone." Mr. Angelo said, his voice clipped and face stern. "My partner here has an announcement to make."

Mr. Marcello's smile widened. "Well, ladies and gentlemen, I would like to say, it has been a great pleasure knowing and working with you all. I have found most successful companies function as a family, and I see that is very much the case here. Unfortunately, I will have to depart for Italy for an indefinite period. Because speaking of family, my mother has fallen ill, and my presence is needed over there."

Tara stifled a groan at this news. She couldn't be the only one who realized with Mr. Marcello gone, the workers would need to fend off the wolf, Mr. Angelo by themselves.

Mr. Marcello appeared to sense the discontent settling over the table, and he spoke up again to disarm any hostilities.

"But not to worry, because I have some good news to deliver. My first son, Martinez Marcello Jr. will be coming down here to fulfill my duties in the meantime."

Instead of calming everybody, his statement seemed to only heighten the nervousness of his staff. Tara squirmed, wondering if dealing with the wolf by himself would be better than rolling the dice on another Marcello.

But then Mrs. Ade's voice cut in with a sad undertone. "How unfortunate; we are sad to see you go. We wish your mother a speedy recovery, and she will be in our prayers."