Chapter 14 (Edited)

“A mother is the only person in the world who can turn a daughter’s worries and fears into happiness.”     —  Unknown

A few days later…

“Eggs, butter, sugar...” Tara listed all the ingredients needed for the cake she was baking.

However, despite following the instructions to a T; the cake batter didn’t taste right. She wondered what she did wrong.

Tara dropped the bowl and sighed in annoyance at her failure. 

Martinez’s evil smirk kept flashing through her mind after the meeting that took place a few days back.

Because of that she became antsy and couldn’t concentrate on anything.

Just yesterday, a Friday; she made the wrong design for a client.

Fortunately, Mrs. Ade and Mr. Angelo let her blunder slide because that was the first time it happened.

However, Mr. Angelo’s stern warnings echoed in her head.

Do not make such a mistake again, Miss Tara; it may cost you your job.

Goosebumps crawled over her arms at the thought of losing her job. 

In addition, for the first time, her hobby of baking cake felt tedious.

“How is it going, dear?” came Dora’s voice as she stepped into the kitchen.

“It still doesn’t taste right, and I don’t know what to do,” Tara grumbled as she threw the batter away. 

Dora smiled in sympathy. “I think you should take a break and get back to it later.”

Tara shook her head in disagreement. “I have little time left. The Christmas concert is in two days and I need to have mastered the recipe before I make the cake for the occasion.”

Dora shook her head at her daughter’s stubbornness.

“I also need to catch up on some work today and tomorrow after church because I will take the day off on Monday for the occasion.”

“Don’t be stubborn, Tara; your mind is restless and you won't be able to concentrate so you will keep making mistakes. And worst of all, ingredients will  be wasted.”

Dora squeezed her daughter’s shoulder. “Take a brief break and come back re-energized.”

Tara nodded and sighed in resignation; she washed her hands and followed her mother out to the living room.

“How are the preparations for the concert going?" Tara asked her mom as they took their seats on the black leather couch that faced the plasma TV on the wall.

“It is going well. Thank God, But you know how children are; they are so hyperactive.  It is hard to get them to settle down and prepare for their different performances.”

“Yes, they are quite restless. I remember last year’s incident of the boy who, in excitement, ripped his costume. The costume manager was so mad because the tear wasn’t amendable.”

Both women laughed as they took a trip down memory lane.

As their laughter died down, Dora said, “Hopefully, there won’t be many mishaps this year.”

“Yes, I hope so." A smile played on Tara's lips.

  Each woman drifted into thoughts; A slight grin appeared on Tara’s face as she remembered meeting.

She looked her mother’s way with a smile. “Mom, I just realized it’s been two years since I took up the contract to bake a cake for the school’s Christmas occasions.”

Dora’s eyes crinkled as she smiled at her daughter.

“I was terrified when the school requested me to bake a cake because the cake company they ordered from disappointed them.” She let out a chuckle. “I was frightened about the outcome because only you and Alice had eaten my amateur cakes.”

Dora chortled. "That's true. I remember you were so frightened you forgot to turn on the oven."

Tara's eyes sparkled with laughter. “I believe I threw away three bowls of batter before I made an edible cake.” She laughed and shook her head 

Dora patted Tara’s hand and beamed at her. "You did it against all odds; and I trust you that this time, regardless of the obstacles; you will make a beautiful cake.  A soft smile danced on her lips. 

"And not just with cakes and graphics, but you will make a beautiful life for yourself.” Dora squeezed her hand. 

With a sudden burst of emotions, Tara flung herself at her mother and held her in a tight embrace. She blinked back tears. “Thank you, Mom, for always believing in me. Even when I was incorrigible, you had faith that I would change.”

Dora patted her daughter’s back as tears blurred her vision. She pulled back and said, smiling, “TaraOluwa, which means the body of God; I named you that because the body of God can never be desecrated, no matter what the devil does.” She sniffled. “I had faith that one day you will find your way back.”

Tara smiled as more tears rushed forward. Her mother’s statement made Tara’s mind drift to a memory of years ago. Her eyes grew dark in sadness, and she briefly stiffened.

However, she came back to reality with a huge smile on her face and she looked at her mother and said, “Yes mom, the body of God can never be soiled.”

The mother and daughter grinned as they realized they had come a long way from how they were a few years ago. They concluded God watches over his children.

“I believe I am ready to try again with the cake.” Tara stood up and rearranged the yellow and white cushions on the couch. “Thank you, Mom, for making me feel better.”

“Go for it, dear. Orire dada.” Dora told her good luck in Yoruba.“That's what mothers are there for.” She smiled.

“However, don’t forget the women’s conference we have to attend this evening at church, so  watch the time.”

“Oh yes, I won’t forget. We never miss it, and we will not start now.” Tara assured her mother.

Dora smiled and stood up. “Well then, I better start getting ready. We have two hours remaining.”

“Oh yes, please get ready. We both know you take over an hour to choose an outfit.” Tara teased her.

Dora laughed and playfully slapped Tara’s arms. “Not that bad. I use a maximum of thirty minutes.”

“Yeah right... You used exactly an hour and twenty minutes to get ready for Auntie Chichi’s wedding two months ago.”

Dora smiled sheepishly. “Okay, fine, I spend a lot of time getting ready, and that’s because I want everything to be perfect.”

Tara smiled in victory. “Exactly! You want everything to be perfect and there is nothing perfect in life.”

Dora snorted in disagreement. “Anyway, let’s set the ball rolling. See you soon.”

Tara strutted off with renewed strength with a belief she could face all the obstacles that may come her way.

However, before scaling the upcoming hurdles; she needed to bake a terrific cake for the Christmas concert of Lily’s Scholar School coming up in two days.

                       ★★★★★

Fun fact: This is my favorite chapter so far. We had tears of happiness 😁

Question of the chapter: What is your favorite type of cake?

Mine is red velvet. I can eat it everyday😂 

But I would never refuse a slice of carrot cake or French vanilla cake 😁

It will be appreciated if you vote, comment and share.

Until next time. Enjoy eating cakes 🎂