Chapter 12 (Edited)

People don’t get promoted to do their jobs well. They get promoted by demonstrating their potential to do more.  - Tara Jaye Frank

A few days later...

Graphics designing had been therapeutic for Tara, she saw it as restitution for all her past wrongdoings. Her designs being a beacon of attraction to her clients’ businesses and houses made her feel better about herself.

However, for the first time since her graphic designing journey began almost three years ago, Tara lacked the inspiration to make a graphic.

The reappearance of Martinez into her life brought the shadows of her past to haunt her waking and sleeping hours.

She clicked the delete button to erase yet another design full of mistakes.

Tara sighed in frustration. She scratched her arms in anxiety, a bad habit she didn’t know how to overcome.

Ever since her mental breakdown a few days back, Tara hadn’t been able to concentrate on anything.

Her usual sleepless nights had upgraded to tormented tossing and turning with painful tears.

Her mom, Alice, and Mrs. Ade had picked up on her drastic change.

Just last night, her mother got led by the Holy Spirit to go to Tara’s room to pray.

On hearing her mother’s footsteps, Tara pretended to be asleep. Unknown to her, her mom had always known about her sleepless nights.

Dora sat on the edge of Tara’s bed and prayed for the restoration of her daughter. With silent tears mixed with her prayers, she begged God to erase the scars from their souls.

While Tara struggled with her burdens; Martinez didn’t seem to be shaken at all. It was close to one month since his arrival, and his business savageness had brought more business to the company, which was an advantage to everyone.

The ringing of the intercom on her table brought her out of musings.

She took a deep breath and answered.

“Good morning, Miss Tara. I need you in my office in the next ten minutes.” Mr. Angelo curtly said and cut the call.

Tara’s heartbeat skyrocketed and she choked on her saliva. She wondered what work the big bad wolf had for her.

She straightened out her clothes as she proceeded to his office. Her nerves itched with fear.

For once, she wished her two eccentric friends, Alice and Jay, were at her side. But, alas, her two close friends were busy with their own lives.

She chuckled to herself as she imagined their reactions to Mr. Angelo’s request for her presence.

They would have probably proclaimed that she was his next wolf meal and would have encouraged her to say her last prayers before she went.

She got to his office door. The rich oak door gave off a foreboding vibe. She took a swift deep breath and knocked.

After getting a positive response, she entered the wolf’s den with trepidation.

The musky scent of a cologne clogged her nose and she held a cough.

“Please have a seat, Miss Tara,” came Mr. Angelo’s voice from the cream-colored couch at the far end of the office.

Tara walked forward. Each step felt like a step towards death. She sat at the end of the couch and tried to make herself as invisible as possible.

Her fingers traced the flower pattern on her skirt to calm herself down as she waited for her supposed death sentence.

Mr. Angelo looked up from the business magazine he was reading and asked, “Do you know why you are here, Miss Tara?”

Tara squeaked. “No, Sir.” She struggled to keep eye contact while his eyes pierced through her soul.

He closed the magazine and threw it on the console table between them. The slapping sound resounded in the room. It made Tara shiver with panic.

Mr. Angelo relaxed on the couch and a smile grazed his lips. “You can relax, Miss Tara. I don’t eat people; regardless of what you all think.”

Tara’s cheeks turned crimson red. She rearranged herself to be a little more comfortable but she couldn't bring herself to trust him.

Mr. Angelo picked up a file from his side and handed it over to her. With shaking hands, she accepted it.

"The reason I called you here is to inform you that for the next three months, you shall handle all the design presentations and other stuff in the graphics design department.”

Her ears perked up at the news. Surprise washed through her. 

“Unfortunately, Mrs. Dara met with an accident on her way home from work yesterday, so she won’t be available until further notice. I believe you are more than capable of holding the fort until she returns. However, you can always decline the offer.”

He went quiet and sipped on the cup of tea in her fear she hadn’t noticed he held.

Tara felt sad for Mrs. Dara who had always been nice to her.  However, she sucked in a breath as she realized the gravity of taking the position of the graphics designing head.  

It meant she could no longer hide behind her computer screen; it meant meeting new people and, most of all, it meant being in the same space as Martinez during meetings.

She cursed her fate and debated whether to decline the offer.

Noticing her hesitance, Mr. Angelo quickly added, “Also, your salary shall increase. Take it all as a temporary promotion.” He stated the amount and smiled in encouragement.

Hearing the amount decided for her. 

With her new salary, she could pay all the bills single-handedly and have enough for her personal needs.
And she could save more money for her university tuition which was taking a big step toward fulfilling her dream of getting a degree in interior design.

She spoke up, “Thank you, sir, for choosing me. I will do my best.”

He nodded in acknowledgment.

He instructed her on some things including the fact that she would move to Mrs. Dara’s office.

Everything was overwhelming. She wanted to depart and share the news with her mother and friends. And also to seek counsel from them.   

“Well, that is all for now. Do not disappoint the company,” he said with a warning look in his eyes.

She felt like a child in school being scolded by a teacher and being warned about future punishment.

She swallowed hard and said, “I will try my best, sir. Thank you, sir.”

Mr. Angelo nodded without a smile. 

She picked up the file and proceeded out the door. She sighed in relief. Thankfully, she came out alive in one piece, and with a new realization that Mr. Angelo is not as wolfish as he seems.

As she headed to find her friends, she gave herself a pep talk. She reassured herself that nothing will go wrong with the responsibilities that had fallen on her.

She glanced heavenward and silently prayed she was right, that nothing will go wrong this time.

                      ★★★★★★

Ayyy!!

They have promoted Tara

How do you think a new position will affect her?

Do you think she can handle it?

Leave your comments in the comments section.

Now our question of the chapter is: what is your favorite ice cream flavor?

Mine are banana flavor, vanilla, and strawberry flavor.

And a happy Easter to all.💓💓

Don’t forget to vote, comment and share.

Until next time, remain outstanding.