Chapter 31 (Edited)

Be brave to let go of the past.
And fight for the present you deserve.
A better future is always yours.  — Anonymous

The taxi halted in front of the office building of Angelo Marcello and Bees Construction and Interiors company.

Tara sighed and stepped out of the car. She paid the driver and wished him a nice day. 

A day she wished she could have. 

She looked up at the building that had changed so much since she stepped in there almost four years ago. 

The sun cast golden rays on the black office roof. 

Her black pumps clicked on the tiles as she took light steps up the stairs. 

Her face cracked into a smile of greeting as the security officer swung the door open for her. 

The gust of breeze from the Air-conditioner was a relief from the scorching sun. 

With an unsmiling face, she nodded in greeting to her colleagues as she passed by. 

“Tara, honey!” A female voice called out to her. 

Tara turned to the side, and Mrs. Ade’s smiling face greeted her.

“How are you, dear?” Her eyes wrinkled at the side as she grinned. 

“Good morning, Ma. I am good.” She smiled. “How are you doing?”

“Very well, by the grace of God. How is your mother?”

“She is fine, thank you.” 

A gleam appeared in Mrs. Ade’s eyes. “And how is Philip?” She gave her a knowing smile. 

Tara’s cheeks turned red as she looked down at the white marble tiles.

Our relationship is not such a secret! She thought.

Her stomach became queasy. She didn’t know how to handle that fact. 

“He is fine." She looked up and responded with a strained smile and a stiff body. 

Mrs. Ade smiled in response. “That’s great. Anyway, I'll be going. I have to attend a meeting.” She transferred her bag to her other hand. 

Tara nodded while smiling, and Mrs. Ade walked away. 

Tara exhaled a shaky breath and continued her walk down the aisle. 

The breeze of the air-conditioners was a calming sensation to her frazzled nerves. 

Halfway down the aisle, a door squeaked open and a familiar face appeared. 

“Ahh, look who came knocking,” Jay smirked. 

Tara rolled her eyes.

“And how is Queen T faring?” He grinned with mischief in his eyes.

Tara sighed and shook her head. “When are you going to stop calling me that?”

“When you respond to it without complaining.” His eyes danced with mirth. 

She raised a brow. “You are impossible.” She shook her head. 

He chuckled. “Anyway, how is Philip's boy treating you?” He winked.

Tara stilled, and her shoulder slumped. She averted her eyes and muttered. “He is good.” She clenched the straps of her bag.

She turned to face Jay, who was staring at her with furrowed brows. 

“Are you okay?” He tilted his head to the side.