Chapter 13 (Edited)

We meet people for a reason; either, they're a blessing or a lesson. -Anonymous

Tara heaved a tired sigh.

Five days had passed since Tara resumed her new position as the head of the Graphics Designing Department, and it left her drained.

Her respect for Mrs. Dara increased tenfolds for her contribution as the head of the department.

Making appointments with clients and attending meetings was not a simple task, especially when some clients could be quite disagreeable.

Fortunately, she hadn't attended meetings with Martinez in attendance. Hosting business lunches outside the office kept him busy.

There was a brief knock on the door, and Alice strutted in. "How is my boss lady friend doing today?" She grinned as she sat on the swivel chair in front of Tara's table.

"I feel exhausted," Tara moaned and massaged her forehead.

Alice chortled and asked, "Is there anything I can help you do?"

Tara thought for a minute and giggled, "Oh yes there is; it would soon be break time. Could you please get me a strawberry milkshake and some donuts?" Her taste buds tingled in anticipation and she grinned.

Alice laughed. "Of course; how could I forget? Strawberry milkshakes and donuts will always be your first love."

Tara nodded in blissful agreement and said. "Yes, they are life."

"Well then, I got you covered; one chilled milkshake and donuts coming right up." Alice winked and stood up.

"Thank you so much," Tara said, smiling.

"Don't mention it. See you soon." Alice said and walked out.

The intercom next to Tara rang a few moments later. She answered and recited her phone mantra. "Hello, this is Miss Tara speaking; how may I help you?"

"Good afternoon. Your next meeting is coming up in fifteen minutes; Mr. Martinez is informing you, that he will attend the meeting." Mona, the new company secretary stated.

A rumor traveled around that Michelle, the former secretary, got fired by Mr. Angelo because she came five minutes late. How wolfish!

Tara clutched the phone and groaned in annoyance. "Okay noted, thank you," Tara said, and the line went dead.

Tara rubbed her arms and rocked herself. Terror surged through her at the thought of facing Martinez.

Oblivious to the knock on the door; the door swung open and Alice marched in.

"Tada! Your strawberry milkshake and donuts are here," Alice chirped in a singing tone.

On hearing her friend's voice, Tara shot up from her seat and tried to hide her internal peril by rearranging her face and producing a smile. She looked up with a forced smile. "Thank you, Ali."

Alice's forehead scrunched up. "Are you okay, Tara?" Alice asked in concern as she placed the snacks on the table. "Your hands are shaking."

Tara dismissed her concern with a chuckle. "I am fine; there is nothing to worry about." She stood to her full height and ironed her pleated skirt with her palm.

Alice shook her head in disbelief. "We both know that is a lie; what is wrong?" She stressed the last part.

Not meeting Alice's eyes, Tara said, "I am just nervous about having a presentation in the presence of Mr. Martinez for the first time."

She picked up her laptop and stepped to the other side of the table.

Alice stepped forward and placed a hand on Tara's shoulder. "There is no need to worry. I know you can do it."