Chapter 28 (Edited)

The oldest, shortest words—’yes’ and ‘no’—are those which require the most thought. -Pythagoras 

The sun descended beneath the horizon. Its rays cast a golden glow through the window on the figures in the room.

“Oh my gosh, you look lovely,” Alice squealed as she beamed at Tara. 

Tara turned her head and smiled. “Thank you.” 

She turned back to face the mirror as she wore her gold earrings and the gold sunflower pendant Philip got for her. Her palm ran over it as she thought about the person who bought it. She walked to her shoe rack and took down a gold pair of sandals and slipped it on. 

“Oh my gosh, Tara, when are you going to try wearing heels?” Alice raised a brow and shook her head. “You should wear one with this dress. It will add to your whole look.”

“Never.” Tara shrugged. “Heels aren’t for me.” 

Alice rolled her eyes. “That’s because you never tried wearing them.” She sighed. “But you look chic today. Philip is in trouble.” She smirked. 

Tara’s cheeks reddened as she ran her hand down the fabric of the wrap leopard skin dress she wore. “I wonder where he’s taking me to,” she whispered. 

“It’s probably a romantic dinner.” Alice wiggled her eyes at her. 

Tara’s cheek turned a brighter shade of red. Her eyes flickered to the clock stationed at the corner beside the door. 

“He is going to be here in thirty minutes and I am feeling quite nervous.” She played with her fingers and stared at her friend with bewildered eyes. 

Alice laughed. “That is how it is. Especially when it is with someone special.” Alice winked at her. 

Tara’s face couldn’t have gotten redder. She glared at her friend with laughter dancing in her eyes.

Her face returned to its natural color, and she said, “I will be right back. I am going to meet mom.”

“That’s great.” Alice smiled. “In the meantime, let me clean up this mess.”

Tara surveyed her room. Clothes lay scattered on the bed, her closet was open, and various make-up instruments littered her dressing table.

“Thank you so much, Ali.” She smiled at Alice and strolled out the door.

As she strode down the hallway, her mind flew to her mother, who retreated into a shell after Ayodeji appeared in their lives a week ago. 

Tara’s heart cried for her mother, who had lost the life in her. She barely ate or spoke to anyone. However, come morning, she would force herself to be strong and go to work. 

Tara rapped on her mother’s room door and waited for a response.

“Come in.”

She pushed the door open, and her mother’s solemn face greeted her. 

“How are you, Mom?” She walked forward and stood at the edge of the bed. 

“I am well, dear.” Dora cracked a small smile and closed the Bible that was open on her lap. 

Tara knew her mother was not telling the truth. She could see bags under her eyes from lack of sleep and her eyes were red, a sign of tears shed. 

Dora’s eyes roamed over Tara’s body, and a huge smile spread across her face. “Wow, you look beautiful!” Her eyes brightened.

Tara’s eyes sparkled, and her heart brimmed with joy. She was glad her actions brought a smile to her mother’s face. 

“Thank you.” She gave her a toothed grin. However, her smile fell. “I don’t want to leave you alone. What if he comes?” She swallowed hard and stared at her mother with clouded eyes.