Chapter 10 (edited)

Memories are bullets.
Some whiz by and only spook you. Others tear you open and leave you in pieces.
           - Richard Kadrey

Three weeks later.......

One of Tara’s weekend habits to unwind after a long week was a trip to the hair salon Saturday morning, after doing laundry and having breakfast. Not only did she find it relaxing, but she got a fresh improvement to her looks out of it, so she essentially won twice.

Today shouldn’t be any different.

After having bread and butter with a cup of tea for breakfast, Tara went on her way.

The cream-colored two-story building of Divine Hair Salon & Barber Shop stood proudly between two other buildings - a restaurant and a boutique. The top floor of the building housed the Baber shop and the lower part housed the hair salon.

Both sections rendered services to both the elites and non-elites. The owners, Mr. and Mrs. Bolaji Williams couldn’t be bothered with class and society, as their mission was to beautify the hair of their clients. After all, there was no such thing as upper-class hair and lower-class hair.

Tara strutted into the building and walked straight to the reception table to verify her appointment.

“Good morning, ma’am; how may I help you?” asked the caramel-skinned receptionist, who looked to be slightly older than Tara’s 22 years of age.

“Good morning,” Tara replied. “I’m here for my hair appointment at 10: 30 am today.”

The receptionist checked her laptop to confirm Tara’s words. “Oh, yes. Margaret shall attend to you. Please go into the room on the right side; she is waiting for you.”

“Thank you,” Tara said.

The receptionist smiled and nodded in acknowledgment.

Tara walked off and found her way easily. After all, she’d been here dozens of times. Before long, she entered a room that smelt of different hair ointments and hair creams.

She wasn’t alone, as three customers inside were already being attended to.

“You must be my next client.” said a light-skinned young lady of average height and a very much not average smile. Margaret, as her name tag suggested.

Margaret and Tara exchanged pleasantries as the latter took a seat on a maroon chair placed in front of a large mirror.

“What hairstyle do we have in mind today?” Margaret asked as she combed Tara’s tresses.

“I would love to do shuku today,” Tara replied.

( Shuku is a hairstyle from the Yoruba tribe in Nigeria. The picture is shown below)

 The picture is shown below)