Chapter 20 (Edited)

The twist and turns of your life can be unexpected, and that's a good thing to learn.    — Christina Baker Kline

The elevator pinged, and the door slid open. Tara and two other people stepped out and headed in different directions.

Tara had concluded a meeting with some clients and was proceeding to her office. She felt exhausted. Those particular clients were the most difficult since her promotion.

At the last minute, the clients decided they wanted a new design, so Tara had to make a new one. It didn't end there. They also complained about every detail possible. 

And the term "customers are always right" made her helpless. She got close to ripping off her hair and quitting. However, she needed the money to fulfill her goal. Mr. Angelo had to intervene and shut them up. 

Ever since she saw Mr. Angelo in church, she started seeing him differently. However, he still exhibited wolf tendencies sometimes.

Walking down the aisle, she didn't reciprocate the smiles sent her way. The comforts of her bed called her. However, she knew it was futile because the demons that hunted her when she lay down won't let her rest.

The familiar sharp odor of peppermint drifted through her nose. Her eyes flickered to its owner. It was none other than the walking reminder of her past.

"Mio chioccolato! What a delight it is to be blessed with your presence." A sinister smirk danced on his lips.

She narrowed her eyes at him and spat out, "I am not your chocolate. My name is Tara, and I demand you call me that."

He chuckled and tilted his head to one side as he stared at her. "When did you become a spitfire?"

"The day you left me to die." She clutched the file she held as she struggled not to travel to the bitter past.

"Oh please, come over it. You are alive, aren't you?" He rolled his eyes.

"Yes! I am alive because my God saved me. Otherwise, left to you and that witch, I would be dead." 

"That witch was your best friend." He said in a mocking tone. "You were foolish to have such a friend." 

"Yes, I was naïve." She proclaimed and her voice cracked. "However, both of you are plain evil."

He moved a little closer and whispered, "Thank you for the compliment, Tara." He produced an evil smile.

She glared at him and raised her head.  "Excuse me, Sir. I have things to do." She took a few steps forward, but his ominous voice stopped her.

"It was nice talking to you. I shall wait for our next meeting." His breath tickled her cheek as he muttered in her ear. 

She looked up at him and uttered with confidence, "I pray that the meeting never comes. Good day, Sir." She said and walked off with her head high.

As she tried to calm herself down, she drained out the sounds in her environment.  Her emotions were confused. Her tear glands were active; however, her inner self wanted to give her a pat for standing up to him.

One thing she was sure of was that he was right by saying she was foolish.

Tears prepared to spill out as her different foolish acts flashed through her mind. She sniffled as she asked God why she couldn't forgive herself for everything she did.