Chapter 19 (Edited)

Happiness is not so much in having as sharing. We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.    — Norman MacEwen

After hours of howling at everyone on his path, they later found out that Martinez had lost his grandmother, and yelling at everyone was probably his weird coping mechanism. Most of the staff felt sad for his father, Mr. Martin Marcello. The staff was
informed that his stay in Italy had been extended until further notice.

                   ★★★★★★

"Rise and shine, Tara," Dora's voice rang out as she opened the door and stepped into her daughter's room. She chortled at the sleeping position of her daughter, which hadn't changed.

Tara sprawled across the bed with a pillow hugged to her chest. Tara had never slept without clutching onto something.

Dora walked across the room and pulled the lilac curtains open.

A burst of sunlight illuminated the room and made a bright spot on the light yellow walls.

Dora turned and faced her daughter, who still slumbered despite the activities taking place.

She bent over Tara and shook her gently. "Tara, dear, it's time to wake up. We have a few hours before we have to leave."

"Ugh, Mom, it is too early to get up," Tara grumbled and stuffed her face into the pillow.

"No, it isn't, it is 9:05 am." Dora laughed. "And besides, we have places to be so you need to get up and get ready." She rubbed Tara's back in encouragement.

"Okay, fine." Tara signed and rolled over to face her mother. "Good morning, Mom." She smiled.

"Good morning, dear. How was your night?" 

"It was as good as it could be." She sat up and wiped the drool from the side of her face. "I didn't get to sleep till two in the morning." She sighed and rubbed her eyes.

"Why couldn't you sleep?" Dora's eyes clouded.

"The same old reason." She yawned. 

Dora produced a sympathetic smile and said, "Don't worry, the Lord will set everything right."

Tara's mouth raised in a slight smile. "I know he will." 

"Well then, let's get the show on the road. I need to pack the things we are taking along." Dora stood up and straightened her plain black shirt.

Tara crawled out of bed and said, "Let me take a shower, then I will come to help you pack the things."

Dora smiled in appreciation. "I am looking forward to spending the day with the children." Her eyes twinkled.

"Me too. I would love to get to know them better."

"That's wonderful!" Dora smiled and patted her daughter's cheek. "There is no better way than  spending the day putting smiles on the faces of motherless children."

"You are correct, mom. I don't want to be anywhere else."

Dora squeezed her daughter's arm and smiled in gladness at her daughter's compassion. She walked out with a smile on her face. Her decision to take Tara to the orphanage once a month all those years ago was worth it.

                           ★★★★★

The taxi screeched to a halt as both women climbed out.

Armed with two bags each of goodies; they marched towards the pale blue duplex that had "God's Children Haven" boldly written on it. 

Climbing up the concrete steps, they arrived at the mahogany door that shielded the inhabitants from the outside world. Tara knocked on the door. While waiting, Dora caressed the potted tulips that stood proudly on both sides of the door.