Chapter 24 (Edited)

First dates are great ways to see how someone acts when putting his best foot forward.  —Amy Leigh Merccree

The sun shone brightly on a Tuesday, a week and a half later. Tara clicked away on her laptop. Her brows furrowed as she concentrated on the banner of a bakery she was designing. Too engrossed in her work, she didn’t hear her door opening.

“Hiya, Queen T.” The enthusiastic voice of her friend drew her attention. 

She looked up with a wide smile. “What’s up, Jay?” 

“Living the good life.” He grinned and slumped on the chair in front of her medium-sized desk. 

Tara laughed and asked, “And what is the reason?"

He chuckled as his eyes sparkled. A slight tinge of red crossed his cheeks. 

Tara giggled as she gave him a knowing look. “Tatiana is the reason, right?”

He beamed and nodded his head. 

Tara smiled and asked, “How is she?" 

“She is wonderful, loving,” He chanted. “She is simply one of a kind,” he added with a huge smile. 

Tara gave her friend an elated smile as she watched love shimmer in his eyes. A bit of envy seeped into her mind. She wanted someone to speak about her the way Jay spoke about Tatiana. She wondered if one day she would enjoy the love people like Jay enjoyed.

Oh, why was she so wounded? She questioned herself.

As she recounted the beautiful attributes Jay mentioned about Tatiana, suddenly Philip’s smiling face flashed through her mind. 

Alice’s words rang in her ears. “You like him and he likes you too.” 

Tara’s cheeks turned pink as she shook her head to clear her thoughts.  

“Ooh, what a surprise! Queen T is blushing,” Jay declared, “And what is the reason for the blush?” he asked and leaned forward with a smirk on his lips. 

Tara shook her head and produced a coy smile. “Nothing is the reason.” She averted her eyes and fidgeted with her fingers. 

“Hmm, that’s hard to believe,” he stated and leaned back in his seat. “However, I won’t prod you for information today, and that’s because I am a wonderful person.” He grinned. “I came to tell you something else.”

“Oh? What is it?” She arched a brow.

“I would love for you to meet Tatiana after work today, if you can.” 

“Oh my gosh, I would definitely love to meet her.” She beamed at him. 

“That’s great! We will meet at Brown’s café at 4:30 pm."

Tara nodded. “I will be there.” A smile formed on her lips.

“Anyway, I gotta go.” He stood up and adjusted his black and white zigzag tie. “I have a meeting with the marketers on strategizing ways to gain new customers.”

“Ah, that’s great. Have fun,” Tara said with a smile. “See you later.” 

Jay nodded and proceeded towards the door. However, he whirled around with a playful smile.
“Tell your eccentric friend I said she can tag along.” 

“Okay. I will tell her Mr. Arrogant wants to dine with her,” she responded with a playful grin.

“Good,” Jay smirked and sauntered out the door.

The door clicked shut, and a daunting silence loomed over the room.

As the minutes passed by, Tara struggled to concentrate on the design she was creating.