Chapter 11 (Edited)

"If you can't feed 100 people, then feed just one." - Mother Teresa

Dora turned away from the board to face her students.

Today she was filling in for the English teacher who called in sick.

She surveyed the students, making sure they were all paying attention.

Her eyes zeroed in on a student at the far back of the class. The student, who was a girl, looked pale. The girl's head slumped on her table and she seemed to shiver.

Immediately Dora swung into action, she precariously dropped the marker, which she held on the table, and scurried to the pale-looking child.

She crouched down at the side of the girl's chair and asked, "Olanna, what is wrong?" She rubbed the girl's back to gain her attention.

Olanna slightly raised her head and said with a weak voice, "I am hungry and thirsty."

Dora nodded and smiled in compassion; she looked around for her lunchbox; regardless of it not being break time, Dora decided not to let Olana starve. After not finding her lunchbox around, she asked Olanna where it was.

Olanna shook her head and said, "I didn't bring food or water."

Dora gasped in surprise and put her hand on her chest. She swallowed hard and asked, "Did you eat this morning?"

Olanna shook her head. She also added that she hadn't eaten since the afternoon the previous day.

Dora clutched her skirt to contain her anger at the girl's parents. However, she decided to give the parents the benefit of doubt. Maybe they have no food in the house.

She quickly thought of the next step to take.

Her expression was determined as she rose to her feet. 'Get up," she said to Olanna, "come with me."

She assisted Olanna to get up and held her hand as they walked to the front of the class

Dora sternly instructed the students left behind to finish their work and not leave the class.

Dora and Olana walked out of the class; they headed to the principal's office to resolve the situation.

Because of the weakness of Olanna, they walked slowly. Several minutes later, the proprietress's office came into view.

Dora knocked and opened the door after the principal called out, "Come in!"

Dora directed Olanna to enter first and then slipped in after her. 

The light-skinned lady, Mrs. Liana Soji, proprietress of Lily Scholars School, stood up. "What is going on?" Her eyes widened as they traveled to Olanna.

Dora put Olanna to sit down on the brown couch on the left side of the office.

She faced her boss with a grim stare. "Good morning, madam. This little girl has unfortunately not eaten since yesterday and she brought nothing to school. Hence, she is starving and can't concentrate in class. So, what should we do?"

Mrs. Liana shrugged noncommittally and sat down. "Call the parents and see what they have to say."

Dora raised a brow. She took a deep breath and silently asked God for guidance. "Okay, ma'am. That will be done. However, we can't leave her to starve till her parents get here."

"What do you suggest we do, Ms. Dora?" Mrs. Liana asked without looking up from the file she was reading.

Dora shuffled her feet. "Uh...we could get her something to eat."