Chapter 25 (Edited)

Art isn't paint, it's love. -- Philip Hicken.

The long-awaited day had finally arrived. 

Tara stared at her open wardrobe and her eyes skimmed through her clothes, looking for the right dress to wear. 

One dress after the other, Tara flung them on the bed as she ravaged through the closest. 

"Ugh!" she groaned. "Why is it so hard?" she muttered as she stared at the heap of clothes on the bed.

"Are you okay in there, dear?" came Dora's muffled voice. 

"No, mom. I don't know what to wear," she whined. 

The door squeaked open and Dora stepped into the room. She shook her head at the clothes that were strewn on the bed. 

"I am sure you have some beautiful dresses you can wear, dear," Dora said and moved closer to the bed. 

"I know. But which one would be perfect?" Tara's shoulders slumped and she frowned.

Dora moved closer and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry, dear; we will figure something out." 

Tara sighed and crossed her arms. " I hope so."

Dora took a step back and surveyed the clothes. She looked at Tara and asked, "where are you going?"

Tara exhaled. "I don't know. He didn't tell me."

Dora grinned."That's great. It's going to be a surprise. And I am sure it will be a beautiful one." Her eyes sparkled. 

"It probably will." Tara smiled. Her stomach fluttered and she brimmed with nervousness. She wanted nothing to go wrong. 

"Yes!" Dora exclaimed as she moved to the bed. "What about these?" she questioned as she raised two dresses. "They are nice and you can wear them anywhere," she added. 

Tara's eyes flickered to the navy blue summer dress in her mother's right hand. "Hmmm, I don't know about this one. Isn't it too simple? He might take me to one of those expensive five-star restaurants."

"Hmm, that's possible." She dropped it. "Well, what about this one?" 

Tara's eyes lightened up. "Yes, this is it." She took the dress and spread her palm over the soft fabric of the peach high-low dress.

Dora clapped her hand and gave an elated smile. "Lovely! Get ready so that we can do your hair and makeup. Philip would be here in an hour. And it wouldn't be nice to keep him waiting."

Tara nodded and strutted into the bathroom.  

Dora went about putting the clothes back into the closet with a huge smile as her heart brimmed with joy. Her heart sang as she watched her daughter walk towards total healing. 

When Tara walked in, she had just put the last cloth in the closet.

"How do I look?" Tara beamed and twirled. 

"Oh, my God, you look beautiful," Dora gushed and her face lit up.

"Thank you." Tara smiled and headed to her dressing table and took a seat on the stool. Dora took her place behind her and picked up a comb. She gently combed her kinky tresses.