Chapter 26 (Edited)

Don't lose your present to your past. -Anonymous

Many didn't expect the polite but aloof graphics designer to be all smiles.

But, alas, Tara strutted into the office with a grin and smiled at everything and anything she passed.

Even the office furniture and equipment were a recipient of her smile.

If anyone wondered the reason for her happiness, no one dared to ask.

"Tara!" a voice called out to her.

Tara faced her fast-approaching friend, who looked sleek in black pumps and a black pencil skirt with a purple silk button-down shirt.

"Phew! Why does it have to be Monday?" Alice groaned as she came up to her.

"Because the weekend is over," Tara said with sarcasm, and her eyes sparkled with mirth.

"Yeah, it had to be over." She rolled her eyes, then stopped, blinked, and gaped at Tara.

"Oh, my word! You cracked a joke," Alice shrieked, much to the awareness of the other staff.

Tara's smile couldn't have grown bigger than it was.

"It's a miracle. And you are grinning from ear to ear." Alice stared in shock. "Tell me the reason." Her voice rose in excitement and alerted the people around.

Tara smiled in amusement; she took her friend's hand and tugged her towards her office. She didn't want a third party to be privy to the news.

"Oh boy, I feel like my world will turn upside down with what you have to tell me," Alice remarked from behind.

Tara chuckled as they reached her office. She opened the door and breathed in the familiar fragrance of her citrus air freshener. Leaving her friend's hand, she proceeded to her desk and placed her tote handbag on it.

"Spill already. You know I don't like suspense." Alice huffed.

"What?! That's basically what you watch on Netflix." Her voice bubbled with laughter. "Anyway, take a guess."

Alice pondered for a minute and exclaimed, "You got a tattoo!"

Tara facepalmed."Really, Alice? Do you actually think that?" Tara gaped at her friend. "You have one more chance."

"Oh, well." She hummed as she thought. Her face lightened up. "Oh my gosh, you won a lottery!" She grinned at Tara.

Tara sighed and shook her head. "You are hopeless, Alice. For someone who claims to be knowledgeable, you are quite naïve." She gave a playful smirk.

Alice snorted and retorted, "See who is talking."

Tara giggled. "Anyway, let me tell you." She perched at the edge of her desk. "On Saturday, I went on a date with Philip."

Tara watched in amusement as her friend's mouth hung open.

"You did what?" Alice shrieked after a few moments of silence.

Tara's laughter rang out as she repeated her words. "I went on a date with Philip."

"Oh my gosh, finally!" Alice took a step closer to Tara. A huge smile spread across her face. "Oh my gosh, my friend has finally grown up," she squealed. "Where did he take you to?" Alice's voice bubbled with excitement.

"To an art gallery and museum," Tara said with sparkling eyes.

"Oh my gosh, you have always wanted to go there."

"I know, right? It was a beautiful surprise." Her smile seemed to grow wider.

After more series of questions, Tara stood up and took her handbag, and brought out a small gift bag.