Chapter 5 - Meet the new bosses (Edited)

The Mediocre Boss tells. The Good Boss explains. The Superior Boss demonstrates. The Great Boss inspires - William Arthur Ward

All too soon, the fateful day arrived when the new bosses would arrive at Bee's Interiors. On top of the usual workload, everyone in the office scrambled to perform extra tidying. Mrs. Ade had insisted her staff have everything in perfect order when the two men showed up.

Most frazzled of all was Tara. Mrs. Ade had entrusted her with preparing a portfolio of previous work to show the company's new partners, and she still had other commissioned graphics to complete before their deadlines. Her mind raced, but her fingers could barely keep up, adding further to her stress.

                     ★★★★★

A sleek car the color of the deep sea cruised to a stop in front of the building. The vehicle bore two people sure to change the entire course of the company's story.

The two men eased out of the car and entered the building. The secretary, Michelle, rose to greet them. A brief exchange of pleasantries, and she guided them to the elevator that would take them to Mrs. Ade's conference room two levels up.

Mrs. Ade had assembled the entire staff once more to meet with their new partners and bosses. A certain anticipation hovered over those seated at the table; knees bounced and fingers fidgeted. Everyone would soon have to put in their best effort to make a good first impression.

A swift knock on the door and time seemed to grind to a halt. Tara exchanged a glance with Alice across the table. The two ladies visibly shared an understanding with all their coworkers, that once that door opened, the company would enter the realm of the unknown.

Mrs. Ade bit her lip and brushed some wrinkles out of her skirt. "Come in," she called out.

The door swung open on recently greased hinges, revealing Michelle's tense face. She informed Mrs. Ade that their guests had arrived before pushing the entryway further open. She beckoned the men inside.

The first man entered with a stoic face. His chocolate-colored eyes betrayed nothing of the thoughts in his head, and neither did his mouth or even posture. Crowning his head was hair more gray than black, and hugging his body was a suit more black than gray. Overall, Tara decided he exuded the typical vibe of a shrewd businessman.

A subdued but pleasant expression graced the next man's face. Almost everything about the man struck Tara as lighter than his companion, attitude, eyes, and suit alike. Only his ebony hair was darker. Dye definitely worked wonders.

Mrs. Ade gestured for her staff to rise to their feet. Then she stepped closer to her guests and extended her hand to shake.

"Welcome to Bee's Interiors. It is a pleasure to have you here."

Mr. James Angelo, the one with grayer hair, shook her hand. "Of course; it's our pleasure to partner with you, and clearly, you have a wonderful team. This is my partner, Mr. Marcello."

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Marcello."

Mr. Marcello dipped his head. "I'm pleased to meet you as well. I'm sure it will be a pleasure to work with you and your capable team."

Tara watched her bosses new and old with appraising eyes. Mrs. Ade visibly sighed, and her smile became increasingly less forced. Mr. Angelo and Mr. Marcello interacted stiffly with her, but no animosity hovered between them.