Chapter 33

Warning: Violent content ahead. I'll put an asterisk so you guys know where the section begins and ends. For those with faint hearts, you can skip that part. Spoiler: it was brutal.

Chapter 33

Stef's Office,
Stefan's Manor

O L L I E

I was roused from my sleep when I felt a tightening in my chest as if someone was ripping my heart out. I shot my eyes open and gasped, carefully scanning the bedroom I am in. When I saw the familiar paintings, inhaled the familiar scent that makes my heart race, and our picture together on the bedside table, I was able to breathe in relief.

I gently touched the side of my eyes, expecting it to hurt from too much crying, but I only felt a slight sting. My eyes caught the small basin filled with water-- the towel submerged inside-- a small smile creeping on my lips. Ever so thoughtful, my sweet daddy.

I gingerly climbed down from the bed, put on my slippers, and checked the clock. It was one in the morning, yet Stefan was still not on my side. Furrowing my brows and all of a sudden, my heart thumped with nervous energy, my gut instinct is telling me that he was able to find it. The part of my past that I don't want him to know. Not because I want it to remain a secret, but because it was very painful. 

If what I felt that time was pure torture, if Stefan got a hand of it, it would be hellish for him. I was on the fence when I told him about Bryce's assault, how much more if he heard how I was abused and beaten? I don't want him to be subjected to a very agonizing situation. However, not all wishes come true, no matter how much you need them to be.

When I got out of the room, what I witnessed almost got me dropping to the floor, my knees lost their strength in an instant, as I held onto the doorknob, biting my lip, in hopes of choking the sob threatening to fall from my lips.

Stefan was on the floor, his knees pulled up to his chest and his arms around it, tears flowing freely on his grief-stricken face, staring out in space. I took a deep breath and rubbed my eyes, wiping the tears that fell, and calmed myself down.

Relax, Ollie. Right now, your worst nightmare has come true, and in this scenario, you have to do your best to comfort Stefan.

I gritted my teeth, took a deep breath, and closed my eyes for a moment. Then opened it again, as I stared at my trembling hands. I clenched them and glanced at Stefan again... he needs me right now, more than anyone else... more than ever.

I walked slowly towards him, dragging my feet along with the invisible ball and chain on my ankles, the weight of it pulling me back but I need to get to Stefan. He needs me more than anything else right now. I need to go to him. When I finally got to take a good look at his face, his eyes tightly shut and his lips pressed into a thin line, a subtle trace of redness on the seam of his lips. Wine?

My eyes searched around for any trace of alcohol before I came to a realization. Its blood. I sucked a breath and my chest constricted as my heart shattered at the devastating sight. I kneeled and took in his raw, vulnerable, and miserable form. This is what I reduced him into.

I should've insisted Trevor and Devon delete the file, but they said that it was very important evidence that will add to Bryce's crimes, especially when I told them briefly what its contents are.