Chapter 5

Chapter 5

S T E F A N

"When I say I got lucky with my parents, I mean it. They loved me unconditionally. I didn't mind their overprotectiveness. When I came out to them about my sexuality, they were happy for me. Happy that I was brave enough to accept myself." I couldn't stop the smile from forming when Oliver talked about his parents in an endearing manner. A blind man will be able to tell that Oliver's parents loved him so from Oliver's cheerful tone.

I laid back on the sofa and focused my full attention on my baby. "Were you an only child, Ollie?" Oliver nodded and lifted his knees to his chest, hugging them, then glanced at me.

"I guess that's where the overprotectiveness comes from," he said softly, and went on to share how his dad had to deploy several bodyguards when he's out, or how his things have GPS tracker in them.

Oliver also mentioned that he voluntarily and basically indulged his parents by letting them put a chip in one of his teeth 'just in case he gets mugged and he won't be able to contact them', "...which is kind of impossible, given my tight security detail," Oliver added with a chuckle and a small eye-roll.

I noticed that remembering his parents just made him somber, but instead of letting those gloomy things take over, he just offered me a reassuring smile. Seeing him sad like that is squeezing my heart painfully, and there's nothing I wanted even more than to see him smile.

"I love my parents, even if they left me." Now that caught my attention.

"Left you?" I can already piece what might happened based on the clues and Ollie's body language. His next statement gave me everything I need.

"Three months ago, on their way home from a business trip, they had an a-accident. A-And--" In a flash, I had my baby in my arms, doing my best to provide him comfort. His breathing became labored and his fingers trembled.

"It's okay, baby. You don't have to tell me. Breathe for me, Ollie. Come on baby. Breathe." I stroked his tear-stained cheeks and guided him through his breathing exercise. Three months. The wound is still raw. He must have suffered so much. "Let it go, baby. I'm here. Daddy won't leave you," I assured him and pressed my lips on his temples. I can't imagine how hurt he is right now. All I can do is be by his side and let him know that I will not leave him.

Losing someone you love will always be painful. Especially if they are the ones helping you stand up and stay grounded. "I-I should have told them to be more careful. I-I should have reassured them that I don't matter..." Oliver continued in between sobs, his fingers clutching on my shirt and his tears falling uncontrollably.

"Baby... shh. It's not your fault. It was an accident." I say that, but if something happened like that to me, I would blame myself too. I wanted to ask the reason why he thought it was his fault, but I didn't want to push him. This topic is very hard for him. Thus, I decided to do the best course of action: comfort him by embracing his quivering body tightly, humming a soft lullaby, while rocking our body.

In no time, Oliver's breathing relaxed and he slowly drifted to sleep. With a sigh, I kissed Ollie's tear-stained cheeks, his forehead, and his hair. I stood up in a careful motion, not wanting to disturb his sleep, and climbed up the stairs and into my room. I twisted the knob slowly and closed the door with my foot softly, careful not to make a sound.

I glanced at my baby's peaceful form, laid him on the soft and comforting embrace of the bed, and placed a soft kiss on his nose. Oliver stirred and whimpered, then buried his face on my pillow. He sighed pleasantly after and that adorable gesture made my heart swell with joy.