Chapter 9 ~ Covered Lies

Biana's P.O.V

Biana's hands grasped around the metal pole in front of her while she sat on one of the seats on the bus.

Fitz, Keefe, Tam, Linh, and Mr. Forkle were all with her too.

Mr. Forkle had decided it was best to station themselves in the actual city part of San Diego where the Neverseen's hideout would most likely be. They were going to stay at a hotel until they could find Sophie.

Mr. Forkle feared the Neverseen might be able to track them if they used their cars to drive to the city so he decided riding a bus was best.

Biana made eye contact with Keefe and she could tell he was anxious. They had to keep an eye on him because it wouldn't surprise Biana if he were to run off on his own to search for Sophie.

"How much longer do we have to ride in this thing?" Tam asked, his eyes darting around the bus as if he was looking for anyone suspicious.

"We should arrive near the hotel in a few minutes," Mr. Forkle answered.

Tam shrank back a little more in his dark hoodie. He looked at Linh, who was wearing a blue hoodie, and hissed, "Linh! Put your hood over your head now! We need to keep a low profile."

Linh widened her eyes and quickly put her hood over her head.

"Tam, relax. If the members of the Neverseen were on the bus with us, they would have attacked already," Fitz said.

"I don't care!" Tam snapped, still looking around.

Hmm...Tam was being almost too cautious...

Something was off...

The bus suddenly screeched to a halt, causing the people that were standing to stumble.

"Alright, let's go!" Tam exclaimed, getting up and shoving everyone forward.

"Relax, Tam! What's up with you today?" Biana questioned.

Tam glared at Biana, sending chills up her spine.

Okay, let's not question it!

They made their way out and Mr. Forkle led the way to the hotel through the streets of San Diego.

"Alright, I'm going to check in. You kids stay right here," Mr. Forkle said, then leaving them to make his way to the front desk.

"I wonder how Grady's group is doing— by now they should have reached the train station," Biana said, shifting her suitcase to her other hand.

Biana was mad that she could only bring one suitcase because obviously that wasn't enough but she had no choice. They had to pack lightly so it would be easy to carry around.

"Yeah, maybe we should call them up to see if they are okay," Linh said.

"I will," Keefe exclaimed, grabbing his phone and quickly dialing up Grady's number. He sat there with the phone to his ear for a few seconds but then frowned.

"He didn't pick up," Keefe said.

"Call again," Fitz suggested.

Keefe did but again, they didn't pick up.

"That's strange..." Keefe mumbled, worry filling his eyes.

"It's probably nothing. I bet they just are busy with something at the moment. We can always try again tomorrow," Biana reasoned.

"You can't shrug off everything as 'probably nothing.' That's how it eventually becomes too late and something bad happens," Tam said.

"Well what do you think happened?" Biana asked. "You think the Neverseen already attacked them?"