Chapter 35 ~ Hope

Sophie's P.O.V

Sophie's body shook from nerves as she entered the theatre with Zach.

The place was enormous and something felt very familiar about it.

"We're leaving the minute this stupid show is over," Zach grumbled, annoyed that he had to escort Sophie here.

"I know," Sophie mumbled, still not believing that this was actually happening.

Once they walked inside, Sophie put her hood over her head to keep a low profile. Mai made it very clear that Keefe could not see them.

But as they walked in and handed in their tickets, Sophie gasped when she realized that she did know this place.

This was the place she and Nick had gone on that date at! The first time Sophie caught Keefe singing opera!

"Familiar?" Zach asked, looking at her. "Took you long enough."

"What do you..." Sophie started but that was when she realized that this was also the place she had one of her stalker encounters.

Before she even knew it was Zach.

Memories started to trigger of that night. The long dark hall, the whispering, the feeling of helplessness.

She remembered she had passed out and that's when Nick had found her and she had to be taken to the hospital.

Remembering that made Sophie mad at Zach, causing her the shove him. "Shut up."

Zach only gave a smug look, like he knew he had triggered her.

Once they started to head to the theatre room, Sophie decided to just ignore Zach and to stop thinking about those times. He wasn't worth it and right now she needed to focus on why she was here.

She needed to see her boyfriend, the one she hadn't seen in what felt like forever.

They took their seats in the back of the dark room, purposely to avoid being seen.

They sat in silence as the crowd buzzed around them, clueless.

Sophie wondered what times would have been like if she had never been taken.

She would be here right now, with her family and friends in the front row. Keefe would perform his best and Sophie would be his number one fan. She would be happy knowing she was there for him but that was only a fantasy.

None of it can happen and it won't ever.

Before Sophie could continue her thoughts, the lights shut off completely and a spotlight shown on the stage as the curtains opened.

Sophie squinted to get a better look and a few seconds later, a dressed up guy walked forward up to the microphone.

Keefe.

He was in a dark suit with his hair gelled back which only happened on rare occasions.

He looked like he was born for this. It was crazy how he managed to hide this all for such a long time.

A few seconds later, the spotlight changed to a deep blue and soft and gentle music started to play in the background from the orchestra.

Once Keefe opened his mouth to start singing, the room held its breath as every person was captivated by him.

His voice flowed so gently in the beginning but started to rise in a crescendo.

Talent like this can only be gifted.

Sophie noticed Zach looking bored but she ignored him as she closed her eyes and listened to the words of his song.

She realized this was a song Keefe had written himself and it was about a girl.

"My voice sounds across the sea, carried by the wind.
On the other side is a girl who's been waiting.
Her rescue is yet to come but it's the chains of time that hold her back.
Her eyes are shut and cannot see that I've already sailed across.
Open your eyes!
Open your eyes!" Keefe sang, with rich emotions.

He continued to sing as Sophie realized the girl he was singing about was the love of his life.

He was singing about Sophie.

Sophie felt her heart break, feeling every word he sang. His words filled with love and hope.

Sophie started to tear up and noticed Zach rolling his eyes but she ignored it, not being able to tear her eyes off of Keefe.

She only wished he could know she was here.

Of course, with many good things, there's always an end.

The show closed up, mentioning how it was encouraged for people to support Keefe for this competition since there were many people present that could sign Keefe for a contract.

Zach seemed relieved to leave, making Sophie annoyed.

"Alright, Keefie boy is finally done with his lullaby. Time to head out," Zach said, grabbing Sophie's arm.

Sophie yanked her arm out of his grip and flared at him. "I have to go to the bathroom first."

"Fine, but I'll be waiting," Zach replied, eyeing her suspiciously.

Sophie scurried far away from him as fast as she could and headed towards the direction of the bathrooms to fool him into thinking she was going there.

But at the last second, she turned to head somewhere else.

Right outside the theatre room was a table where you could write notes to the performers or donate money to them.

Sophie may not be able to let Keefe see her but she knew she had to let him know she made it. She just had to.

She hurriedly got in line and eventually got a card and started to quickly fill one out for Keefe.

She kept looking back, scared Zach would come any second but she realized he was probably too lazy to even come.

She then finished up and put away the pen and stuck the note under Keefe's name. It was simple but would do the trick. It read:

I'm always here ~ Foster

She just needed to let him know she was here for him and wouldn't let him go.

She only hoped he would see it as she ran back to find Zach.

If he would see it, it would give him hope.