Chapter 40 ~ The Plan

Sophie's P.O.V

Sophie felt her heart pound as she quickly trailed right behind Mai in the dark basement area of the hideout. Mai claimed that her purpose would be revealed and Sophie had to admit that she was nervous to find out.

She wasn't sure what was ahead of her but it couldn't be good.

But she had to be willing to do it, anything to keep her family and friends safe.

After long, endless seconds of silence and walking, they finally reached a huge metal door and came to a stop.

Mai spun around and looked directly at Sophie.

"Before I proceed to show you what is beyond this door, I must explain to you your task that will be ahead of you," Mai said.

Sophie gulped and nodded.

"Do you know one of the things Tennessee is known for?" Mai asked.

"Uhhh..." Sophie mumbled, struggling to find the answer.

Mai rolled her eyes. "Tennessee has more than 10,000 caves."

"Okay..." Sophie replied, confused.

"Not too long ago, there were these special crystals with great value that were discovered in one of these caves," Mai continued.

"Okay, what's so special about them?" Sophie asked.

"It's true power isn't known yet, but it's told that they hold the power to control minds with only the look of the eye," Mai explained with a mysterious tone.

Sophie was about to snort and laugh in her face and say it was a joke, but Mai looked very serious.

"Um so why do I have to retrieve these crystals?" Sophie questioned, still confused.

Mai then looked at her nails as she replied flatly, "because I have other matters to attend to."

"So you're making me do the dirty work?!" Sophie questioned.

"Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be able to do it easily," Mai assured.

Sophie narrowed her eyes. There had to be a reason why Mai was making her do it if it was so called "easy."

And if she was telling the truth about these crystals, it was definitely something that shouldn't land in the Neverseen's hands. Who knows what they would do with that power.

But no, it couldn't be real, right?

"Unless you fail to do it. I wonder what would happen to your dear friends and family if you did," Mai challenged.

"I don't care about them anymore, they're the past," Sophie reminded, crossing her arms.

Mai raised her eyebrow. "Mhm, I'm not fooled. I know part of you still cares."

Sophie glared at her. "You wouldn't know."

"I know more than you think," Mai said with a smug look. Just like her son.

UGH, she hated that look!

"Okay I'm still confused. How does all of this relate to what is behind that door?" Sophie asked, realizing she forgot about it.

"It has everything to do with it. What's beyond this door is your reward when you complete this task," Mai explained.

"Reward? What kind of reward?" Sophie asked, narrowing her eyes in suspicion.

"A very valuable reward," Mai added.

"How do you know it will be valuable to me?!" Sophie questioned.

"Oh it will be a reward you cannot resist," Mai assured. "So do we have a deal?"

"I'm not making promises until I know what's behind that door," Sophie demanded.

"Sophie, your reward will be what's behind this door plus your freedom," Mai said.

"What?!" Sophie exclaimed, sure she misheard her.

No seriously, WHAT?!

Mai smirked. "Yes, you heard me. Your reward will also include your freedom."

"Like from the Neverseen? Here?!" Sophie practically shrieked.

Mai nodded. "Mhm," she confirmed.

Sophie looked away and took in a breath. She didn't know how to feel, but she felt so much hope rise in her.

If she just completed this task, she would be free.

FREE!

Sophie let her mind wander to what that could mean.

What if she saw her family and friends again?!

"I don't understand— h-how is it this easy?!" Sophie asked, still not being able to process this.

"It wasn't my idea. It was their demand," Mai replied.

"Their? Who's their?" Sophie asked.

"The people who discovered the special crystals in the first place."

"Huh," Sophie said, confused.

"The two scientists that should've burned in flames long ago," Mai continued.

"I don't..." Sophie mumbled.

Wait...

Before Sophie could process what was happening, Mai opened the huge metal door and shoved Sophie through it.

Sophie fell hard on her knees as her head spun.

She stumbled to get back up but nothing could prepare her for what she was about to see before her eyes.

"Mom? Dad?!"