Chapter 38 ~ The Move

Sophie's P.O.V

Sophie screamed in agony as her back ached with pain.

"PUSH THROUGH!" Hunter yelled at the top of his lungs, just a few feet in front of her.

"I-I CAN'T—" Sophie shrieked, feeling like she was about to collapse.

Currently she had a huge boulder that she was carrying on her back, and as part of her training, she had to make it across the training room to reach Hunter.

"YOU. CAN. DO. IT!" Hunter yelled, raising his gun into the air.

"WOAH— WOAH! Easy there!" Carter yelled, calming Hunter down before he could accidentally shoot someone.

"She needs to finish this! Mai's orders!" Hunter argued, shoving Carter off of him.

"Look at her! Give her a break!" Carter argued back, gesturing at a shaking Sophie.

"AHHHH!" Sophie shouted, nearly collapsing onto her knees after taking one more step.

"ALRIGHT! Fine! We'll end today's training!" Hunter barked, giving in.

Sophie felt relief and collapsed to the ground, regretting it when she realized the boulder was still on her.

Carter instantly ran to her, lifting it off her back

Sophie started to gasp for air the minute he lifted it off of her.

She shook as she looked up at Carter who's eyes showed worried. He carefully helped her up but she was still too weak to stand so she ended up leaning against him for support.

"Th-thank you," she whispered.

Before Carter could speak a word, Hunter commanded, "I suggest you two get out of here before someone comes."

Sophie nodded and Carter quickly helped her out of there.

"Jeez, are you okay?" Carter exclaimed, once they were out of the training room.

"I'll be fine," Sophie assured, her back still screaming in pain.

"Man, Hunter's rough," Carter noted.

"Yeah," Sophie agreed.

They had finally moved to the hideout in Tennessee and ever since then, it seemed like Sophie was being pushed harder than ever.

Her training sessions were longer and more difficult. The others were getting a good taste of it too but not as bad as Sophie. It seemed as if they were specifically targeting Sophie— like they were preparing her for something.

There was a strange energy and she didn't like it.

And things felt even more hopeless now. She was so far from San Diego that any help she had the chance of getting was lost now. She would never be found.

"You know, I don't like this. I don't like the way they're treating you," Carter whispered.

"It's part of my commitment," Sophie said, shrugging. "I just...I just feel like they are hiding lots of things. There's a specific reason why they're training me this hard."

Carter nodded. "Yeah, I don't like that either. We're in the dark so who knows what's really going on."

That was one thing with Carter. He was probably the only one she could trust with saying stuff like this. He knew the Neverseen were very shady.

Sophie lots of times still wondered why he was even here. He had said something about love but that made no sense.

"Maybe someone knows something," Carter suggested. "Maybe they could tell us."

"Like who?" Sophie asked. "Zach would never help us, Jay is the manager so there's no way she ever would, and Hunter and Pheonix are just as clueless as us."

"True," Carter agreed, as they continued to walk down the hall. "What about Ace?"

"I...don't know. Something's off about him. He definitely has his own secrets," Sophie said.

The last chat Sophie had with him had been real shady. He wouldn't spill exactly why he had joined and he had done that weird trick with the dice. But he had told Sophie that she had her own choice to choose her path or something like that. So possibly he could be on their side.

"I saw something in a letter I was delivering to him not too long ago," Sophie continued.

"What was it?"

"It was very vague and didn't make much sense. But something about him needing to find someone and then how he had to guard this weird packet that had some strange dust in it," Sophie explained.

"Huh," Carter mumbled, deep in thought. "Yeah, I have no idea what that could mean."

He then stopped walking and grabbed Sophie by the shoulders and locked eyes with her, weirdly causing her heart to start to pound. "But just remember to be more careful," he then paused to look around. "You never know when they are listening," he added, whispering.

Sophie nodded. "You're right, they could be playing us too."

They then continued to walk in silence, thinking about their situation.

It really was messed up, but Sophie was glad that at least she had Carter to talk to. She was lucky that she could and that she wasn't alone.

Just when Sophie was about to speak again, Mai popped her head out from around a corner, causing Sophie and Carter to jump.

"Hello," Mai greeted, eyeing them strangely as she fully came around.

"Hi," Sophie greeted back, narrowing her eyes.

Mai's eyes then moved to where Carter's arms were around Sophie's shoulders.

"I see you two are getting rather cuddly," Mai noted, narrowing her eyes.

"What?!" Sophie shrieked, immediately trying to get out of Carter's arms but she then started to collapse so he had to catch her again.

"I'm simply helping her," Carter replied, gritting his teeth.

"I'm sure she can move herself," Mai said, looking down on Sophie.

When Sophie didn't move away from Carter, Mai rolled her eyes and said, "just remember that getting close won't help you at all."

Sophie didn't dare look to see Carter's expression but she knew that she really wanted to slap Mai across the face.

Mai smiled, knowing that she was getting to Sophie. "Anyways, I came here in the first place to get you, Sophie."

"Why?" Sophie asked.

"Remembering how I was telling you to be prepared?" She asked. "Well now it's time you see what your true purpose is."