꧁ T W E N T Y O N E ꧂

The halftime whistle blows and the players scatter across the field to their respective break points. Josh takes his time leaving the grassy surface- his mind wondering to what he can do in the next half of the game to really impress the scouts and make them give him the shot that he deserves. He remembers all of a sudden that Nessa is in the stands and his head lifts from staring down at his mucky boots. Watching the supporters make their way to the food stands or the bathroom, he can't help but notice the absence of his baby momma and her blonde sidekick. Growing curious as to where they are, he wonders over to the sidelines and takes a seat beside Jaden who offers him a bottle of ice water.

"Where are Bert and Ernie?" Josh questions, chugging a fair amount of the cold liquid. Jaden sniggers at the nicknames they started to call the girls a few weeks ago before glancing over his shoulder at the stands and pouting when he couldn't find them.

"Must be in the bathroom" he shrugs, staring to tighten up the laces on his boots.

Josh was ready to drop the conversation and wait for them to get back but from the corner of his eye he sees a flash of blonde hair appear at the fence. He stands up immediately- noticing the panicked expression on Mad's face and the tears that are staining her blotchy cheeks. Jaden and Bryce follow behind him as he jogs over to the fence quickly, wasting no time in asking questions.

"What? What is it Mads?" He grows annoyed when she only sobs in response. "What is it! Where's Ness? Is she okay? What happened?".

Jaden puts his hand on Joshs shoulder in attempt to calm him down but they both knew he wasn't calming down until he knew if Nessa was okay. A million horrible thoughts started to race through Joshs mind and he tried to shut them up but it was no use. If something had happened to her or the baby he would lose his fucking mind. He didn't know exactly when but at some point during this whole experience, Josh realised how he felt about Nessa and that he'd always felt that way about her- even when they were frenemies and she was Bambi who wore thick framed glasses and was the definition of dork. He's always loved her, he just hadn't taken the time to notice.

Mad's wipes under her eyes before taking a deep breath. "She went to the bathroom and called me saying she was bleeding so I went and got her and she was fine- there was just some spotting but then it got a little heavier and now she's having severe pains".

Josh feels the wind being knocked out of him when he hears her words. "Where is she? Why have you left her? I can't believe you've left her alone you idiot".

"Josh-" Jaden starts but Mad's shakes her head for him to leave it.

"She's in the car, I told her I'd be back in five minutes she was feeling better when I left her" She tries to explain but as soon as the location of Nessa was told, he took off- heading towards the car park.

Josh doesn't care that he's got a stitch in his side or that he's severely out of breath by the time he arrives in the car park- his only focus and main concern is Nessa and his unborn child. He makes a beeline for the car he's watched both girls get in and out of several times and cusses under his breath when he sees Nessa inside, her head on the window and her arms hugging her bump. He doesn't hesitate before opening the door and kneeling down, holding a hand to her reddened cheek.

"Josh?" Her small voice asks with disbelief. She should have known Mad's wasn't going to get her bag from the bleachers and that she'd go straight to Josh- even when Nessa had specifically asked her not to.

But it didn't matter to her that her best friend denied her wishes however, all that mattered was that he had come and he was here. The smaller girl stands to get out of the car with the help of Josh who insists on taking all her weight.

"Let's get you to the hospital" he nods before placing a kiss to the side of her head. Nessa is grateful for him and that he wants to help but she's not going to let him ruin his big opportunity so she takes a step back.

"You're not coming to the hospital Joshua. Mad's is going to take me and after the game you can come if you want but there's no way you're not playing in that second half" She announces, her left hand rubbing at her stomach.

Josh stares back at her fiery eyes with disbelief and irritation. She can't be serious right now- she has got to be messing with him.

"I'm sorry what? Don't be stupid Nessa of course I'm coming to the hospital. I can play college football anywhere. What I can't do is live with myself if we're standing here wasting time when our baby could be-" He cuts himself off before the word slips past his lips.

There's a silence while they both think the same thought. Dying. Their baby could be dying.

"You can't play college football anywhere!" She yells, surprising them both. "You're going to UCLA. It's your dream Josh, don't be stupid I'll be fine and so will the baby".

Josh clenches his jaw as Mad's and Jaden make their way over to the car. Mad's tries to scope out the scene before they get closer, wondering what's going on between the two.

"I want updates! By the second! And you- you call me if I need to be there". He takes Nessa's hands and squeezes them gently. "I'll be there as soon as that final whistle blows okay? Ness I-"

"Josh they have to go" Jaden reminds him.

Nessa leans on her tiptoes and places a kiss on Joshs cheek before enveloping him in a hug and breathing in his signature scent. She feels content for the first time today.

After saying quick goodbyes, Josh and Jaden wait while Mad's drives off, Nessa waving to the pair. Josh wouldn't say he was a religious person but he's never said so many prayers in his life.