꧁ F O U R T E E N ꧂

"He wants to what?!".

Leaning forwards, Nessa covers her best friends gaping mouth with the palm of her hand while waiting, hoping that her parents didn't just hear.

Mads stares at her best friend with wide eyes and a thousand questions spiraling around in her confused head. Did Nessa really just tell her that Josh asked to keep the baby? He actually asked that?

"I know that was my reaction too" the brunette sighs as she falls back onto her bed, hugging her pillow closely.

Mads shifts in her seat, crossing her legs into a basket as she sits directly across from Nessa who looks like she's carrying the weight of the world on her tiny shoulders.

"And what are you going to tell him? Do you think it's a good idea? Why does he want to keep it?-"

"What is this? Twenty one questions? I have no idea Mads" Nessa groans into the pillow. Why did he have to make things so complicated? He could have just stuck to the original plan.

The memory has been replaying in her head ever since he told her yesterday. It came as a shock yet somehow a little part of her already knew that something like that would happen. The way Josh was around Anna at the adoption agency should have been the first red flag to notice and then at the appointment where he got really emotional about seeing the baby on the screen for the first time. Nessa wanted to tell him that she'd felt like that too but she was afraid he'd think she was backing out and then get mad at her. For what, she doesn't know.

"He has it all planned out Mad's, you should have heard the way he spoke about it. He spoke about wanting to keep the baby the same way you talk about wanting my closet" she mumbles, picking at the thread on the pillow.

Mads raises both her eyebrows. She knows just how serious this is now.

"Well think about it logically yeah?. You'll be at Harvard or Princeton or whatever Ivy you choose to go to. Josh will be here in LA with a full ride football scholarship to UCLA that he's had bagged since freshmen year. You guys won't ever have to interact with each other unless it's on your own terms so I say why not? You've known Josh your whole life, he calls you Bambi for goodness sake. He's financially stable and has really loving parents. If he's fully committed, you should let him be a dad".

It takes a few minutes for Nessa to fully soak in all of Mad's' very true, very sensible words. After talking to her best friend, Nessa has a lot more to think about. The logistics are all there but her heart isn't.

"Anyways we better get going, Jaden will kill us if we're late".

꧁꧂

Jaden had suggested earlier that the group of close friends get together at his place for drinks and movies. Nessa obviously can't take part in the alcoholic drinks part but the more time she spends out of the house, the more her chances of being caught out by her parents decreases.

Nessa locks the car door before returning her arm to Mad's. The blonde takes a hold of her best friends hand and they swings their intertwined hands together dramatically as they make their way up Jadens long bricked driveway.

Taking a look around, Nessa can't help but notice just how different the pops live from her and the others below. They're swimming in riches and money is never an issue with them which explains why they want to flaunt it by having these over the top statues in their front lawns or the expensive cars lining the driveway. It's not a bad thing that they're proud of how they can provide for their families though. It's just an interesting thing to see.

"What are you getting worked up over?" Mads asks when her finger presses the doorbell button. She turns her head to glance at Nessa, seeing the gears turn behind her eyes.

Shrugging, Nessa shakes her head. She's not exactly overthinking she's just weighing out pros and cons.

The brunette doesn't get a chance to reply before the heavy door is opened to reveal a smiling Jaden behind it. He greets them quickly, pulling Mad's inside by the hand. Nessa closes the door behind her as she watched the couple enter into their own little bubble of happiness. She's glad that her best friend had found someone deserving of her time. Mads has been like a sister to Nessa for so long and seeing her happy truly is the only thing she could want. It does cause a small pang of jealousy to swarm around in Nessa's stomach though. She wishes she could have something like that, something important and meaningful. Maybe one day but right now, as long as she's got that baby growing- she can't even think about that.

"Bambi, what're your doing standing in the foyer?" Josh asks. He stands across the room, under the entryway to the kitchen with a bag of chips hanging from his mouth and his arms full of candy.

Laughing a little at the goofy sight in front of her, Nessa makes her way over to the taller boy. Josh softens his expressions when the girl comes nearer to him. The last thing he wants is to piss her off by doing something stupid.

"This isn't all for me! I know that sugar intake is very important and you shouldn't feed yourself up on fatty foods because it's not healthy-"

"My answer is yes" Nessa smiles, cutting him off.

Josh rambling about healthy eating because he was nervous she'd judge him for eating sugar and therefore judge his ability to be a good parent, made her realise that Mad's is right. Nessa has known the boy her whole life and he may be an asshole at times and he may get on her very last nerves but he's Josh. He's the guy who's always been there even when she doesn't want him to be. He's the one who didn't ignore her for years. He's her long term frenemy that she trusts and knows better than anybody. Josh is extremely smart and sensible when he has to be. He's going to be just fine.

Stunned, Josh raises an eyebrow. He can't decide if what he's hearing is a joke or not. If she's just toying with his emotions he'll be very fucking pissed.

"You're serious?" He asks, his jaw dropping.

Nessa laughs at his excitement and nods her head. She barely has any time to react before josh drops all the packaged goods onto the floor and is picking up the smaller girl, his arms wrapping around her waist protectively. He's cautious not to hurt her or the baby but can't help but feel very over the moon- filled with happiness. It's actually happening.

He's going to be a dad.

____________________
ꕥ  A U T H O R S  ꕥ
~ n o t e ~
________________

daddy josh 😎

✨ comment & vote ✨