꧁ T W E N T Y T W O ꧂

The ticking of the clock in the wall seemed to be the only sound that Nessa hadn't managed to block out as she stares at the door, waiting for the doctor to come back any second now. Her green eyes look over at Mad's in the corner with her phone in her hands- typing away at a fast pace. When the two had arrived at the hospital a half an hour ago it didn't take long before Nessa was being pushed swiftly down the hallway in a wheelchair towards the examination room where Dr. Kepner poked and prodded at her, taking bloods so she could run some tests. It worried the teenager that she hadn't gotten an ultrasound. Only some tests. The questions were spiraling out of control in the back of her mind about what it meant. Why wouldn't they give her an ultrasound? Surely that was the quickest way to check how things were going and if the baby was okay so why didn't she get one. Tearing her eyes away from the clock on the wall when she heard the door handle being pushed down, Nessa holds her breath as she prepares to hear the worst.

"Sorry for keeping you so long Nessa I know you must be frightened" Dr Kepner sympathizes as she enters the badly lit room.

Nessa doesn't respond with words as she's too scared that if she tries to speak she'll start crying. Trying to form words right now when she isn't sure if she's still pregnant or not isn't what she wants to be doing. All she wants- needs- is to know. Dr Kepner wears an expression that isn't too hard to read. It's not good news. But the pitying glare over her eyes let's Nessa know it's not entirely bad. Dr Kepner doesn't look like she's about to break the news that the baby is gone but there's definitely something wrong.

"Nessa are you aware of a condition called placenta previa?" She asks softly, holding onto her clipboard of information.

Looking over at Mad's for help, the blond simply shrugs her shoulders with a small shake of her head. She's never heard of such thing.

Dr Kepner sees the exchange and concludes that neither of the girls know.

"Placenta previa is when the baby's placenta partially or completely covers the cervix" she explains but it only confuses the two even more. "What it essentially means is that throughout the pregnancy, you will bleed. Now, it can be resolved by bed rest and medication mostly but there are risks with this condition that you should know about".

Nodding her head as she absorbs all the information, Nessa can't help but feel relieved that the baby is still okay regardless of her new found condition. She gestures for Dr Kepner to continue.

"We don't how severe your condition will get or if it'll get worse at all but you may need blood transfusions frequently if it does".

Nessa lets out a deep sigh of relief. "Is that it? I might bleed from time to time but I'm okay? My baby's okay?".

Dr Kepner smiles but it's small and there's still the pitiful glaze in her grey eyes that makes Nessa rather nauseous.

"Nessa I'm not telling you this to scare you and I'm not guaranteeing that it's going to happen but I want you to be prepared just in case" Dr Kepner clarifies before continuing. "There's a risk of you having the baby prematurely if the bleeding is severe. The other thing is that there's a chance of you hemorrhaging during or after delivery which could be very life threatening for you".

Choked up, Nessa struggles to breathe as Mad's practically crashes into her and starts to hold her in her arms. Dr Kepner mumbles something about letting the two have a minute and that she'd be back to answer any questions before disappearing out of the room.

꧁꧂

"Hey! I came as fast as I could is everything okay?".