꧁ TWENTY FOUR ꧂

"Dad?"

As she stands there with her heart beating against her ribcage and her mouth drier than the Sahara dessert, Nessa struggles to breath the crisp air. It's been months since she last seen her father and it wasn't a pleasant time she'd like to revisit. The pure betrayal and heartache that she felt that day creeps back up her spine and spreads all over her body like a virus. Immediately Nessa's eyes shoot towards the familiar silver Sedan that she physically grew up riding in. The momentarily wave of relief from not seeing a single glimpse of her mom cools her fiery cheeks down as she tries to recollect herself.

"What are you doing here?". Her voice is thick like syrup but there certainly wasn't any sweetness to it. She couldn't believe that after all that he did and said to her, he has the audacity to be here today of all days.

Nervously, Drew shifts his weight from one foot to another while raising his eyebrows. He didn't know that Nessa was unaware of why he was here.

"I asked him to come" Josh affirms, approaching the wide open door. He could sense the laser beam eyes that his pissed off girlfriend is aiming his way so he places a hand on her shoulder comfortingly. "I asked him to come here so he could bring Julian".

Before Nessa has a second to react, her name is being called followed by the sound of her little brother stumbling out of the car with a yellow envelope clutched in his small hand. His smile is wide and bright as he races across the long patch of grass. Nessa's breath catches in the back of her throat before she's gently falling to the floor with her arms open, ready to embrace her favorite little person who she hasn't seen in months. Julian comes crashing into Nessa and Josh cringes for a second, praying that the impact from the small boy didn't hurt Ness or the baby. He relaxes soon after the uncontrollable grin on his girlfriends face beams up at him, her mouth uttering the words "thank you" as she holds her little brother in her arms- tears glazing over her green eyes.

"You have no idea how much I've missed you" she whispers in his ear before placing several kisses on his cheek. The little boy giggles, happy to be back with his big sister.

"Can I go see Mads?" Julian asks with hopeful eyes and a wishful tone. Nessa frowns for a second. She had completely forgot that when she stopped talking to her family that it would mean Julian would also no longer talk to her or any of her friends. Just as Mads is a sister to Nessa, she's a sister to Julian too.

Nodding her head and sharing a look with Josh, Nessa rises back to her feet.

"Come on little man lets go find the blond" Josh smirks, ruffling the smaller boys hair.

The atmosphere once the two boys leave is uncomfortably awkward and the air is thick. Nessa can't bring herself to look into her fathers eyes out of fear she'll say something she'll later regret or burst into tears. It surprises her when it's he that initiates the conversation.

"So I see you decided to keep the baby after all" He half smiles, his eyes glued to the bump that his daughter has grown. His tone suggests that he's surprised but the disappointment in his eyes still flickers, just not as bright.

Sighing Nessa places a hand on her stomach. "I told you I was".

"Hey, don't get defensive I'm not judging....not anymore sweetie. How are you?".

"How's mom?".

Silence.

Truth is, although he may claim to not be judging her, Nessa knows that some part of him always will. She's known her father her whole life and there was a time where she thought he was the greatest most loyal and trustworthy, loving man on earth but she couldn't have been more wrong.

"I would invite you in but it's family only" she murmurs. The truth starts to sink in for both of them that they are no longer the family they once were. The man on the other side of her front door is a stranger to her now. That's not her father. Not the version she loved anyway.

Drew scowls, shifting his weight while sticking his hands in his pockets. "So, what? Because I disapproved of one choice I'm now the bad guy? I reacted how any father would when his teenager tells him she's pregnant!".

His words lingered in the thick air like a bad smell. It was enough for Nessa to close the door and step outside- making it clear that he wasn't welcome at her home.

"No! You reacted like I had done the worst possible thing imaginable. It was a mistake that I didn't want to correct and because of that you threw me out! You told me I brought shame onto our family and that's not something I can forgive you for. Today is supposed to be about me and my family. My new family that accept me and my choices. I've found something great here. I should actually thank you for being so shitty because if you hadn't then I wouldn't be celebrating my baby with the love of my life surrounded by people who mean the most to us both. So go Drew. I'll drop Julian off after he finds out if he's going to be an uncle to a nephew of niece."

Drew stands on the front yard absolutely dumbfounded by what his daughter had just said. He watches her walk away furiously back inside the house. Guilt and shame swarm him like hungry bees. He didn't know what he was expecting when he showed up today but it wasn't that.

Inside, Nessa refuses to let her emotions get the best of her. She takes a seat on the bottom step of the staircase and breathes in and out slowly, her nerves calming down and the overwhelming feeling to throw up settling. She can't believe that she just said all that to her father but she doesn't regret a single word.

"There you are" Josh's voice sighs with relief. He appears next to the banister, a small smile on his glowing face. Nessa can't help but smile back- all her previous concerns washing away in an instant. She wants him to know just how much she appreciates him for everything he's done for her.

Standing up, Nessa smooths down her dress before wrapping her arms around her tall boyfriends neck and pulling him into her. Muscle memory makes the boy hold her waist in his own arms, his smile causing butterflies in her stomach. They stay there for a minute- looking into each other's eyes and being happy.

"I love you Josh Richards. I'm so grateful for the family you've given me and all that you do for me and our baby. Thank you for being so perfect" Nessa smiles, gushing over him.

Josh blushes at her words slightly before his cheeky grin returns.

"I love you too, Bambi".