꧁ S E V E N T E E N ꧂

Rolling over in the large queen sized bed, Nessa nuzzles into the comforter some more as she fights the urge to open her eyes. Last night was the first time she's gotten a decent amount of sleep since finding out she was pregnant. The feather filled pillows and soft cotton comforter welcomed her to the land of nod immediately when she laid her head down and cocooned herself in. Now, with the morning sun only slightly creeping into the somewhat lit room, she tries her hardest to clamp her eyes shut and get back to whatever she was dreaming about for the past several hours.

However, the creaking sound of footsteps outside of her door followed by quiet whispers refrains her from doing so and she eventually gives up, sighing and letting her eyes flutter open for the first time today. She carefully untangles herself from the comforter before letting her feet touch the carpeted floor- her toes sinking into the soft wool fibers. Nessa takes her hoodie from the armchair and slips it on over her head, the material stopping just below her kneecaps. She glances over at the mirror, running a hand through her messy- waved locks of hair and deciding that this'll just have to do.

When she opens the bedroom door, her eyes dart to the one that belongs to Josh's bedroom across the hall. Her curiosity spikes when there's no sight of the boy in his bedroom where he's already attempted to make his bed apparently. The voices she heard earlier are louder the nearer she creeps along the hallway, nearing the top of the stairs. Josh's tired voice is the first one she identifies but there's two other voices. Two voices shes familiar with but cant quite seem to put names nor faces to just yet but the sound of high heels walking in perfect sync along the tiled floor snaps Nessa out of her daydream.

"Nessa sweetheart, you're awake!". The woman that she's known her whole life beams up at her from the bottom of the curved staircase.

Josh's parents are two people that Nessa has always known yet are also like strangers to her. Whenever she and Josh hung out as kids, his parents would usually be at work or out of town and the only conversation she had with them was a mere three minutes. His Dad was always distant and and rarely home but his Mother was the one constantly making an effort, always trying to stay home with her son when she could and she did try her hardest, she really did.

"Mrs Richards, it's nice to see you". Nessa starts to fidget with her sleeves, unsure of how she should approach the woman. Her worries however, are washed away in a few seconds when she gets to the bottom of the steps and is welcomed in a comforting hug by the older woman.

"Please, call me Patry darling. Why don't you come sit and we'll have some breakfast. There's a lot we need to talk about". She smiles and it calms Nessa's worried butterflies.

The two woman walk through the hallway and make their way into the dining room where Josh is already seated at the table, his phone in his hand and his head nodding along as his stepfather- Chris- reads the sports section of the newspaper out loud. He stops however when his wife returns to the room with Nessa tailing behind. Josh looks up from his phone, a small smile etching upon his face when he sees the small brunette take a seat next to him.

"Good morning Janesa, did you sleep okay?" Chris asks, folding his paper and setting it to the side. He kisses his wife's cheek quickly upon waiting for a response from the girl across from him.

Taking a sip of her water, Nessa nods her head promptly. "I did thank you, it was probably the best sleep I've had for months" she confesses, eating a chunk of watermelon. She feels Josh nudge her lightly before starting to eat his own breakfast.

Chris and Patty smile at each other before they too join the teens in eating their food. The comforting silence is welcomed by Nessa as she thinks while eating. She can't help but wonder if Josh's parents are only being nice to her because they're getting ready to force her to live somewhere else or if it's all just an act entirely.