꧁ T W E L V E ꧂

"Will you please stop fidgeting?".

Josh glares across the table at Nessa but nonetheless, rests his hands on the long hardwood object in front of him. The two are currently waiting at the adoption agency for their new social worker to arrive. The room is silent and neither of the two teens want to speak about the many thoughts both have circulating in their clouded heads. Things with the baby- with the pregnancy were starting to get serious and if it hadn't hit them before, it sure as hell did when the door opened and in stepped a woman in her late 30's who held a bundle of paperwork under her arm and a pearly white smile on her face.

"Hello! You must be Nessa and Josh" the woman says, nodding her head at them. "My name is Anna and I'll be your social worker throughout this process".

Anna takes a seat at the top of the table. Nessa looks across once again at Josh who seems to be in daydream land as he stares out of the large window.

"I read over your file and just wanted to start off by saying how incredibly brave you both are for going through with this. I've had many experiences before with teen parents and I'm happy to tell you that the majority of them have been very successful." The woman nods, opening up her folder.

Nessa smiles politely at her but it fades away quickly after. Josh still didn't dare tear his eyes away from the window as Anna continued to talk about the adoption process. Josh didn't feel the need to tune into every detail. He wasn't even sure that his heart was fully invested in the idea of giving up his child. He knows that he can't possibly look after the baby himself- not with college so soon and him being far too young / inexperienced but he didn't like the fact he wouldn't be apart of his child's life in some way.

"Josh!" Nessa snaps, an embarrassed look on her face. Anna sends him a small smile, sympathizing with the boy.

He shakes his head, all of his previous thoughts falling off his shoulders. "Sorry, what was the question?".

Nessa slides the small stack of paper across the table and waits for him to read it.

"This is the family that are interested in adopting the baby. What do you think?" she quizzes.

Josh takes his time, picking up the short stack of papers and scanning between the lines on the pages. He reaches the end and his stomach churns when he sees the photo of them.

There's a dad and he's wearing a suit. The mom is smiling with her hands placed firmly on both the children's shoulders. A little boy around the age of ten and a smaller girl who's missing her two front teeth. Josh wonders why they want his baby when they've already got a family of their own. Why do they need to have his baby?

The mixed emotions and confused feelings were getting too much for the teenage boy to handle. He pushed his feet off the ground and his chair slid back, allowing him room to stand up. Nessa and Anna watched in confusion as he picked up his jacket and put it on.

"Whatever you want". He says to Nessa with a defeated tone. He shrugs his shoulders before walking out of the room.

꧁꧂

Josh parks his car in his driveway, locking the vehicle before making his way through the garage door and into his kitchen. The glossy marble counter tops are gleaming as he sits his keys down. His phone vibrates in his back pocket but he ignore it- knowing that it's probably Nessa looking for an argument and that's not what he wants. When he walked away, he didn't do it because he didn't want to support her- he walked away because he didn't want to be involved with giving up his kid. Although he himself can't raise a child, he'd  rather have gave it a go than give up completely.