꧁ TWENTY FIVE ꧂

_____

The time to find out the baby's gender was inching closer and closer as the night went on. Nessa tried to distract herself by mingling with her close friends and spending time playing the ridiculous games that Noah and Bryce had set up in the backyard but she was itching to know what she was having. Her heart hopes that it's a girl for Josh but she knows that no matter what color lights up the dark night sky, the both of them will be happy.

"Are you ready?" A very excited Mads asks as she and Addison help Nessa walk over to the area she she and all the guests will stand as the fireworks go off.

Pressing her lips together into a thin line, Nessa asks herself the same question. Is she ready? Is she ready at all? The quick answer is no but the follow up is that she will be. She has to be.

"As I'll ever be" she manages to reply.

Her olive green eyes dance around the dull lit backyard. Josh and the boys did a good job hanging pretty lanterns and fairy lights to make it seem more magical because after all, that's how they wanted to remember tonight. As magical. Her hand rests on the curve of her growing bump and she feels content. Holding her stomach has quickly become the thing that calms her down the most. Maybe there's some deeper psychological meaning as to why or maybe it's just simply because she knows her baby is inside. Either way, she loves the feeling it fills her with more than anything and Nessa knows that when the bumps gone, she's going to miss it profoundly.

After helping to set up the fireworks, Josh takes a moment for himself in the kitchen. He props himself up onto the island and just breathes. He thinks about taking out his phone and calling his parents but they're out of town all week for business so the last thing he wants to do is disturb them and although they both insisted on staying to support Josh and Nessa, the couple decided that they appreciated the offer but it was okay for them to miss the party.

Another thought that crosses the boys busy mind is how close they are to having their baby. It scares him to death knowing that he's going to be responsible for a life. He's going to be responsible for that tiny little person that he helped create and that terrifies him but what haunts him the most is the fact he might not even get the chance to be responsible for that little life. Not if the universe says 'fuck you' and the worst happens. That's what scares him most.

"Hey, what're you doing in here? We're about to set the fireworks off" Anthony asks as he pokes his head around the corner. Josh immediately shakes off all the worry he's been keeping to himself and paints on a smile that wipes away any doubt that he's not coping.

"Just needed to breathe for a sec" he says with a grin, joining one of his best friends before they make their way out into the backyard.

The guests are all crowded around in the one area, their mumbles of excitement roaring louder than the low music that's playing in the background. Josh finds his way over to the spot Nessa is standing at- watching as Bryce and Blake get ready to light the explosives.

Neither of the two register that the countdown  has started as they're both busy trying to drown out the noise that is their beating hearts pounding in their ears.

Nessa looks up at Josh intently.

7

He feels her gaze and looks down at her, squeezing her hand so that she knows everything's okay.

5

"No matter what the result, we'll love it just as much- right?" She asks with an uneasy smile and raised eyebrows. Nessa knows the answer but she needs to hear him confirm.