Chapter 16: Unlikely Alliance

Tine POV

"Sarawat and I were hoping to accompany you." I said.
Khai tilted his head, studying me. "Surely, there would be trouble on our way like me and the gang always get into. You're new to this."
"Cuz, I've been kidnapped for ransom, and I got away with it." I leaned in. "Besides Sarawat looks forward on joining you."
"He could an enemy." I had never seen Khai's sincere face.
"He's my friend. " I managed to say. "We can trust him."

"But what if you are wrong?" He countered, a question in his eyes.
"I'm not wrong. He's a good guy. Maybe, a little idiot and mysterious." I sighed as I fished out the small gas container from the bag.

It's still my secret from the rest of the world. I like how it separates me from the people who discriminated against my being. But best of all, it makes me feel forever grateful that Sarawat's been here. I could always find peace and home in his words. The certainty in his eyes that he would fight for me and protect me. And knowing that makes my heart alive and full.
I wonder if he thinks that I would do anything for him.

"Maybe he's into you."
My exuberance turned suddenly strange. My fingers tensed."He...I didn't realize Sarawat was such a big deal."

He had to fight the impulse not to cringe. "You two are not faking each other's camaraderie, and he cares for you, and you care for him. Ultimately you'll find yourself in the pit of the cupid's monster's mouth."

"Cupid's what?"
"Who is Sarawat Hizumi for you anyway?"
"This is nonsense, P'" There was something about the steadiness of my voice.
"Let him go, cuz" It was Khai's turn to sigh. I glowered. "There's madness in him."

Arthit POV

My mind was ravaged. Anxiety clawing at my insides for weeks. I had no idea where he was or what he was doing. How would I confront the legion. I was so horrified that I neglected everyone not until they touch me.

I took a breath. Pete's apology helped me clear my thoughts last night. I had to focus now. "They took Kong."

Prem wasn't sure if he was impressed or dismayed by the story I just told him. " The world is tumbled into chaos once more, isn't it?" Prem's laugh echoed around his cell.

"You know where to find the Celestial Mirror?"
Prem met my gaze. "It's in Phuket."
"Phuket?" I mimicked. "Tell me you're lying."

I imagined Phuket to be an amazing place for a tourist spot. But I guess everywhere you go, if you are part of our world, you cannot avoid crossing paths with either a wizard or a demon.
"Phuket's my home." Prem smiled as if greeting a long lost lover. Reminiscing his days. "Celestial wizards used to roam around town. They worshipped the celestial god, give him offerings. My mom used to tell me that the mirror itself will only reveal to those wort-"

"Yeah, yeah." I waved it off. "you say that as if I'm not a celestial wizard. But the specific location?"

"No one really knows where."

My lips parted. "So you knew where it's located?"
"How much can you afford me?"He asked.

"Answer the question." I snapped.
Prem's mouth curved into a mocking grin. "The Gear Hearts still hates me for what I did in Graiville but you seemed to be in a desperate shape, Arthit. What do you want me to do?"

"I don't have much time, Prem." I said. "And I don't need you to do anything. I just need the location."

"It's not easy to locate the Celestial Mirror. Some say it's somewhere in Coconut island and some say they saw it in the forest. I might know a man who can help you find the mirror. But he wouldn't trust you easily. He is somehow keeping his identity hidden. He would offer you rooms in his hotel at the Old Town."

I paused.If Prem would come with us. Chances are he's not going to cooperate. Think like a leader Arthit! I chastised myself.

"Do you think, with you on the group we'll able to find it?" I said.
"Let's make a deal then, Arthit." He said. "Free me from this cell and I'm under your command."
"What price do you want?"
His tone was low. "Freedom."

"You wouldn't commit any vile acts, would you?" I eyed him suspiciously.

"I'm tired with that." For a brief moment, there was guilt in his eyes. He didn't budge. "I messed it up as a mentor. I've made mistakes, hit rock bottom."
"I bet you've been through a lot of thinking lately. But just because someone's been through a lot doesn't mean they're right."
The guardian who stood by the end of the cell wasn't even paying attention to us. "Tell me Arthit, do gods bleed?"

I twisted my wrist, the shadows snaked through the cell door, and the locks came free. An alarm roared in the hall. "They do."

Prem stretched his arms before stepping out. I was prepared when he strikes at me, waiting. Our eyes did have an understanding. Something we never tested on one another. "Let's see if this hellgod is as tough as he thinks he is."

The small gas containers burst in from the windows. The gas mask materialized on my hands and gave one to Prem. We put it on immediately. By now, Third disabled all the security cameras. A white mist blanketed the cells. Only a short distance away, the hallway was full of guardians running towards us.

I formed into shadows on the ground. I managed to sneak up behind a guardian and I jabbed my hand over his face. He staggered back, clutching his nose then we ran into three more guardians.

Prem spun around and slammed his fist into the guardian on the left. I knocked down the other two. They went down easily as they inhale the smoke.
"Enjoy your crappy prison service while you can!" Prem yelled as we ran for the exit. "See you around losers!"