Chapter 3: Hearing Thoughts

Pete POV

As I got downstairs, I proceed to the dining room. The TV was in front of the wooden table near to the brightly lit windows, connecting to the kitchen, and the living room. Third was in the kitchen making his cereal while Kao was eating strawberry oatmeal. "Is that supposed to be Arthit's?"
Kao looked up with a smile. "Good morning, honey."
"Don't honey me." I sat next to him. I gave him a brief kiss on his cheek.

"What should I call you? Babe? Darling?" Kao teased. He scooped the oatmeal and I gave it a try. "Mmm. That's good." I said while chewing.

"Did you contact Sandee?" He pushed the bowl over to me, and went to the kitchen to get an extra spoon.
"Yeah. She texted me the spell."
Kao returned in the dining room, Third followed, holding a bowl of cereal on his chest. "What spell?" He asked.
Kao and I traded looks. "U-uh, it's for the quiz tomorrow."

"You have a quiz? You know that's illegal." Third sat across us. I wondered which was more illegal? Hearing thoughts for personal gain in a quiz or prying Tine's head.
There was no easy way to tell our plan. So, I pushed forward. "Well, it turns out that politics in second year is hard. They all have situational quizzes."

Kao's reaction to hearing my reasoning was similar to Third. They frowned. They were curious and shock at the same time.

"It's situational because if something unethical happens. The magic council acts." Third said.

"We can just get a little idea. That's all." Kao added.

"Pete, Kao. I don't know why you two are lying." Third narrowed his eyes at us. "But I know you wouldn't do anything impulsive unless it's important."

"I'm afraid that it is." I replied.

"Kong is taking the quiz tomorrow too." said Third. "Should you help him?"
Kao opened his mouth to speak, but he looked at me before he does. "Kong is smart. He got perfect in several tests. He doesn't need it."

"It's not what you think, Third." I nervously said.

Third grinned widely. "Oh, I think you two are planning to invade someone's thoughts."

Kong POV

Eventually, I woke up in my bed and found M was looking down at me. "how are you feeling?"

"I-I'm fine." I managed to say as I sat upright on my bed, leaning against the headboard. The details of the ghosts. Their faces. Irene. Arthit's parents were coming back in my mind. Then I looked beyond M. Khai and Arthit looming by the threshold. The sky outside was warm and yellow, indicating it was morning. The look on their faces said that what I've seen was real.

P'Arthit was growing impatient as seconds passed by, so he cleared his throat and M glanced back. He nodded and the two former mentors stepped forward.

"Kong." Khai began uncertainly. I could tell that as always Khai has no clue about this but his face told me otherwise he was concerned. P'Arthit took over. Khai and M went back to the hall, shutting the door silently.

"Kong, what happened last night?" P'Arthit asked."We only want to help you. Why the screaming? What you saw didn't exist in the plane of existence."

"They're ghosts." I swallowed hard. "I saw them, P', your parents, Irene, and the rest of those demons we've faced."

P'Arthit's reaction hearing my words made was pure shock and a little bit of grief was still there. He clenched his fists, knuckles turning white. I moved my hand over his. He barely noticed my touch.

"W-What do they look like, Kong? My mom?" He finally said although he was on the verge of crying.

"She still looks the same." I answered.