Chapter 27: Flowers and Sorrows

Pete POV

Two days later

The Funeral was set in the morning, but Arthit had been tossing around on the couch since three in the morning, his eyes now were dry, he looked like he hadn't slept well. I kept him company the entire morning, we watched several videos in Youtube to comfort him, it was effective at first.
By six, Third and Kao thudded off to the kitchen. Third made our breakfast, we all ate in silence because even Khai was bizzarely silent too. Metal seats had been placed under the white tent with people gathering in the Ravika Wizard Cemetery which located in an unseen portion of the area, where some of the wizards put an illusion that it was a dead end.
Humans would see it as just a wall of vaults.
The ceremony began with a few words, our souls were like ordinary humans. It goes to the afterlife called Nirvana. A place where most of the people who did good things on this earth.

Arthit was crying, wiping off the tears on his face. I put my hand on his back, patting him. The coffin was made of black wool, polished its upper portion. It was rolling down into the hole the guardians dug. We walked towards the coffin, throwing white flowers over Knot's coffin.

We got back to the tent. I studied my surroundings, I couldn't help thinking that there were too many people in the funeral. Knot's mother had never have hatred towards Arthit. They even talked earlier.

Off to the side, were the statues of several legendary wizards who had helped our race prosper for so many centuries. The statues loomed ominously as if they were watching everything.

Tine, Third, and Khai behind me. I saw M and May clinging together, Tew and Oak side by side and P'Aun with P'Earth. I noticed that Tine with his eyes cast down to the grass, looked empty. He must've been thinking of Sarawat. He died for Kong. I knew that they were in love. Maybe the first time we met, I was a little harsh on him.

"What are you thinking?" Kao clasped his hand over mine.

"I should apologize to Tine." I said, with a guilt crippling inside.

"He's been like this since two days ago. I feel bad for him." Kao said. When the ceremony was finally done. I chased him down the middle of the between graveyards. I called after him and he did stop.

"Tine"

"What do you want?" Tine's voice laced with venom.

"Thanks for coming." I muttered, not wanting to disturb anyone that passes by us. "I'm so sorry for your loss. About Sarawat."

"This isn't helping," Tine said, shaking his head.

"I...I'm also sorry, for everything."

Tine regarded me. He was debating in his mind if we should talk or not. Eventually, he sat on the marbled seat under the big tree. I just slid down and wiped my sweaty palms. The heat was much worse because summer was almost near. We sat in silence, both looking at the vast field of the graves.

"Sarawat's gone." Tine said bitterly at first. " He's the only person who's been there for me."

"I may not have acquainted him but..." I smiled a little, and he looked at me wistfully. "He was ready to risk his life for you. I know I was being a jerk teasing you. But I saw it in his eyes, Tine. He loved you more than just a friend."

"I think we were never friends. I was always in love with him." said Tine. "Have you ever watched your friend die?"

"Yes" I said. Many times. Warwick. Lowie. And there were those friends in the Dark hunters who had been murdered by Ash. "I couldn't even forgive myself for that. But I knew, what was right. We have to move on because that's what they want. They want to see us living a happy life."

"People always do odd things when grieving," said Tine. "Being a royal is complicated. I'm still a black sheep."

"No." I said gently. "You won't be anymore. You have us now."

Tine's face softened. "I thought you were a bad person, but you're not, like Sarawat." Tine said. "I wish there's a way that I could let him know. Kong is cured. We've done it."

"He knows." That brought a hope to Tine's face. "That his sacrifice was worth it."

Kong POV

I stared at the ceiling for hours. My Hellbreaker was retrieved by my father when I got arrested two days ago. I heard the cellar door groaned and I hastily jumped off the bed, expecting it to be dad but it was P'Arthit. He was wearing a black coat and white shirt inside.

Once the guardian closed the door. He composed himself. Dark circles were under his eyes. "You hadn't been sleeping well."

"A lot has been bothering me." He said.

"Hey, don't stress yourself," I said. "How's the internship?"

"P'Earth said that I should rest for a while, she'll cover up everything for me."

"What about the Celestial gem?"

"It's safe at the Scarlet Blade's headquarters." His dark eyes turned speculative. He told me about the judgment of the council and the gem as their property, the Hellbreaker was with Lincoln Reckondale.

"My dad has no choice, Mr. Reckondale has the high authority in the army. His credibility in the council is immense." I said.

"Either way, you are not in danger." P'Arthit said. "Pete and Khai are willing to defend you at court, if Mr. Reckondale will be out of control. We can make this work."

"If only this is easy." I laughed as I reached up to cup his cheek. "Tell me what you're feeling right now."

Tears streamed down his face. "I...I've never wanted him to die for me. But he said, that was his future. I think it was a measure of his redemption but I could've stop him, I could've done anything." He sighed. "Ridiculous, how I can still manage after witnessing so many deaths."

"P'Knot is a good friend to you. He had no other choice. He was just following his father's order."

"But I feel like I was responsible for his death! What if I'll lose more? What if...What if..." He said softly. "What if I'll end up alone?"

"You're not going to lose me, P'Arthit." I reassured him. "I'm not gonna leave you. I promise."

He closed his eyes, cries even more. He pressed his head on the cell, and I kissed his forehead. After a few seconds, he tilted his head up to study me. The white skin and the artfully messy hair made him handsome.

He recovered quickly. P'Arthit put his hand on my shoulder, his face was serene and serious. "Too many lives have been lost because of P'Trae. We will find him, and we will defeat him this time."

His words strengthened me. The torture that P'Trae had given me was too much. He destroyed my life and the life of my comrades. Sarawat's sacrifice would not be in vain. Cutting the cord of the spell was hard because P'Trae had altered my thoughts. I looked at P'Arthit. A grin spread across my face. "We need an army."