Chapter 23: Savage Heroes

Tine POV

Emiko, my father managed to gave me several blows from his punches, his speed was incredibly fast that I couldn't see him. Punch after punch, I got knocked out to the Rooftop. The yellow three-story building was on fire, caused by one of dad's vampires.

"You're so considerate among your allies, Tine." Dad said. "You let yourself be the sacrifice. You think they care about you?"

"Other things matter." I replied.

"You shouldn't have been born. I was drugged by that demon and conceived a child like you. Your aunt has gone soft over you, hasn't she?" He snickered.

Dad shrieked, every vampire stopped at what they're doing and spun their heads towards me. Their eyes sought hunger. They charged at the rooftop, crawling on the walls, leaping off from roof to roof. Dad smiled at me, fangs exposing. The vampires positioned, claws burst from their fingertips.

"Oh, son. You've made a mistake coming in Phuket." Dad said. "Sarawat was quite an ideal key to you, but there is no need to resist now. You've known so little about your powers, and it's far too strong for you to understand. Well, even if your mom and I showed our ulterior motives, you would still hope that we will revert back to ourselves, don't you? This is farewell, son."

It all seemed silly, he shot after two vampires. One of them flew at me, I whipped around just to miss being wounded at my upper arm. I started upward, using my gravitation magic. I watched the vampires gave a greater leap in the air. Finding a wall to stick on, I raised my hand above me. A doom stretched down to the street, imprisoning ten blocks.

I wouldn't let these creatures go away. A hand swayed down, nearly ripping my face. "Shit!" I grunted, whirling between two buildings, my feet balanced me. At once, all of them came towards me, all claws and fangs.

I didn't know how to use this magic but I've got to try. I closed my eyes and told myself that I should be brave. I cannot let the broken boy inside me consume all I've worked for--I felt something glow on my fist. It distracted me so I fly my eyes open to see a diamond mark on my right hand, a faint shimmer of light green.

Pete POV

We arrived at the end of the path of the esplanade at a run. Khai slowed to a walk as they passed the coconut trees.

"Where is it?" Knot asked.

Prem eyed our surroundings. Then Kao lifted an arm, fingers pointing at the distance. "There."
They were racing over the pavement-- I could different presence altogether when someone blocked the path with a wall of ice.

"You're not going in there!" Standing behind us was Warwick. He had cuts on his arms, his hair matted in blood and dirt. Holding up his trembling arm. He fixed his gaze at me.
Seven ice spears came into existence, I immediately formed my arm into iron. My friends dodged every spears. The last one struck on my arm but it didn't pierce through. My feet dragged me just a few inches from the blow.

I lunged, my teeth bared, I heard Kao shouted my name. Ice spikes jutted from the pavement, I was in the air. My skin shot out plates of iron at him. Our blows met, our magic rapid and furious.

I saw fear in Warwick's eyes, even as he brought down the metal spike I manifested, bringing it down in a sideways arc. My legs swinging around as Warwick prevents his face from getting another bruise.

"Warwick why would you betray the Dark hunters?!"

I saw horror in Warwick's eyes. "It's the only way to survive! This is the Hellgod Triad, Pete! They're way terrifying than the Shadow Master! Adam and the other Dark Hunters have no choice! Arkan, Pytro, Trae are the Dark Lords. And I bow before their thrones." Warwick cried.

"How could you..."

He lunged, punching me in the face. I tasted blood on my mouth.

The first time I've got to train with Warwick in the Dark Hunter's Base, I lost several times. His gift of demon slayer magic was remarkable. Each defeat became my motivation, so I wouldn't lose the next time we train. The movements were the same but something was different.

Pete Reckondale...won't stop! Warwick said proudly to our enemies a year ago.

I stumbled, caught myself, and slashed at him again. Ice against metal clanging. Sending kicks and punches too. I went full spin with my black lightning, avoiding each ice spears as I turned to drive the blade into his ribs. I felt the metal rang against my bones, felt the hot blood over my fist. I drew back my arm, Warwick staggered, staring at me with disbelief.

"You've become..." Warwick said, putting my hand over my shoulder. "Stronger."
Warwick's legs wobbled, slumped to the ground, eyes were lifeless.

I'm sorry Warwick. I bid goodbye, knelt, and closed his eyes with two fingers.

After a few seconds, Kao ran towards me and wrapped his arms around my waist. "Are you okay?" He buried his head on my neck.

"It's fine." I ruffled his hair and smiled. "We've got to go."

Then a figure stood on the beach.

"Not so fast." a voice said. Spinning around, my heart dropped. Arkan was gripping Prem's neck. Three vampires surrounded Khai, Knot, and Sarawat. "If you don't follow me. Your friends will die."

Tine POV

With that one swoop of my magic, all of thirty vampires became ash. It took an uncontrollably huge amount of magic. I spotted Dad's retreating back. So, I went around to the other side of another burning building. His face both pure fear and shock at my sudden appearance.

Dad ordered urgently. "Go! Kill him!"

The vampire with piercings at the side of the nasal bridge flew towards me. Ducking down, the circle mark at the back of my hand glowed, I punched the vampire. His eyes dawned with realization that he was going to die, embers scatter gradually in the wind. I caught the other vampire's hair who was charging at me, jammed my fist into its heart, turning into embers as well, smudging more dirt on my cheekbones.

"No!" Dad screamed, his eyes shimmered with rage. He uses some sharp objects as such bending a pedestrian sign into a metal spear to throw at me. I took off instantly, flying towards the burning building, the spears cut into the walls and the dome that I created. The smoke made me invisible in the night.

"COME OUT! FACE ME!" Dad snarled, he was looking around.

I flew into air, whipping around with one of the spears, the blade clashing against Dad's. Everything seemed to ripple around me. I flung backward, disappearing into the smoke.

"You're getting scornful, dad. All you had to do was to leave me alone. What made you think that I would lash back in the corner and cry again?" My voice echoed through the street. The fire kept cracking beneath. Smoke covering the entire portion of the street while I was hidden like a vigilante. Dad looked at the smoke with exasperation. "Do you have any idea just how many people turned their back on me just to get at this point? You don't know how painful it was."

I soared out of the smoke, the fear in his eyes increased. I spun around midair. With every last strength in my arms, I mow down the flying metal scraps at him. He didn't even have the chance to dodge my attack, just then it pierced through his torso.

Dad's legs went out, looking at me with a gaping mouth, his body glowed in embers. He turned into ash.

"It's over." I muttered as I released the dome at will. My footsteps crunching in the remnants of the building, the fire lit up my face. I was quite angry to care about demons and hellgods. I was powerful at the moment to feel pain. With one last look at the mess in front of the burning Catacomb Bar, I couldn't stop thinking about myself. What am I? What do I do with this power?

And then, I leaped off into the sky.