Chapter Ten

Ferula

Awtomatikong napangiti ako ng makita si Mrs. Grace. I was about to call her when her eyes directed on me. Her eyes widen. But it's not because of suprise that I am standing in front of her. Her face turned pale too and the fear was clearly seen on her eyes.

Bewildered with her actions, I spoke, “M-Mrs. Grace?”

She shook her head many fimes. “You shoudn't be here, Ferry.” Fear coated her voice.

Kumunot ang aking noo. Hindi alam ang kanyang ibig sabihin. Lumapit siya sa akin at hinawakan ang aking braso. Doon ko naramdaman kung gaano kalamig ang kanyang kamay. Her hands were shaking when she dragged me inside her mini office.

She let go of me as she closed the door. She walked back and fourth. Huminto siya kalaunan saka humawak ang kaliwang kamay sa bewang habang sapo naman ng isa pang kamay ang noo.

“Mrs. Grace, ano po ang nangyayari? B-Bakit po—”

“Ferry, hindi ka dapat nandito. Hindi ka na dapat nagpunta dito—”

“Pero bakit po?” I know I may looked disrespectful for cutting her off but I can't just stay calm. Her actions are making me nervous. Something's wrong. She wouldn't act like this if everything's okay.

She let out a sighed and pulled me to sit on one of the wooden chair in her office. “Ferry, maraming ng nagbago sa Neville. Sa isang buwan na hindi mo pagparito ay marami ng nag-iba. Kahit kami ay nabigla na lang din sa mga pangyayari,” aniya. Naroon rin ang bakas ng pagod sa kanyang mukha.

“You should leave this place as soon as possible. Neville is not safe anymore for your kind.” She sounded so worried. “Witches are being hunted here now.”

“A-Ano? Paano? Bakit po?” I couldn't even formed the exact questions to asked. Too many questions clouded my mind. Her revelations gave me an unease feelings.

“There’s news spreading in the whole town. They said it was an order from the higher rank who was said to be suffering from the worst kind of witch's curse,” aniya saka naupo sa katapat kong upuan.

“So, they are taking the witches to make a revenge?”

She shook her head. “Walang nakaaalam. Isa rin iyan sa mga espekulasyon dito pero wala pa rin namang nakukuhang patunay tungkol sa bagay na iyan.”

She put her hands in my hands. “Kung ano man ang totoong dahilan kung bakit ito nangyayari, isa lang ang importante ngayon.” She squeezed my hands. “Kailangan mong makaalis na sa bayang ito ngayon din. Hindi ka na ligtas dito. Kalat na sa buong Neville ang araw-araw na pagkawala ng mga katulad mong marunong sa mga mahika.”

“They are doing something agaisnt the law!” Hindi ko napigilan ang pag-usbong ng galit sa aking puso. Paano ang mga inosenteng madadamay? Ang mga katulad kong namumuhay lang ng tahimik?

“I know, I know, Ferry. But it was an order from the higher rank,” she said. Tears are threating to fall from my eyes. How could the higher rank do this? They are being unfair. They are taking our rights and freedom to live.

I watched Mrs. Grace stood and open her table's drawer. She took something inside the drawer and walked back to me. My brows furrowed when she took my hand and slipped a small crystal bottle into my hand.