Chapter Thirty

Ferula

Nothing escaped my mouth as tears streamed down my cheek. I did not even know I fell sleep. When I woke up a commotion was happening outside. My eyes hurts and heavy from too much crying.

Ramdam ko ang sakit sa aking lalamunan sa bawat paglunok ko ng aking laway. Nilingon ko si Mystia na nasa aking tabi. Nakayakap ang kanyang braso sa akin habang nasa aking balikat nakapatong ang kanyang ulo.

Sa liwanang na nagmumula sa pasilyo ay nakita ko ang mga kapwa namin bihag na nakatayo at nakahawak sa mga rehas ng kanilang selda na tila nag-aabang. Tinapik ko ang pisngi ng aking kaibigan. Kaagad siyang naalimpungatan at nagmulat ng mga mata.

“Ferry?” malat ang kanyang boses na sambit sa aking pangalan. Umayos siya ng upo saka napatingin din sa may pasilyo. “Anong nangyayari?” tanong niya.

Napailing ako. “Hindi ko alam pero nagkakagulo sila.”

We both stilled in our position when the door of our cell was opened by one of the guards. He motioned his hands for us to move.

“Labas,” he said in monotone. We both stared at him in bewilderment.

Labas? Bakit?

We flinched when he hit the cell’s bars with the steel bar he was holding. “Hurry up!” he raised his voice before walking to the other cell and told the same words to the captivate.

“What’s happening?” Mystia whispered beside me. I shook my head and just walked outside beside her.

I blinked my eyes and let my eyes wandered around us. Lahat ng bihag ay nasa pasilyo.

“Labas! Lakad na! Bilis!” The guards impatiently told to everyone of us. Confused, we just do what was told to us.

While walking away from the dungeons, one of the guards finally revealed the reason why they letting us out all of a sudden. His words spread like a wild fire.

“Totoo na ba ito?” Mystia whispered beside me. She was in a verge of crying.

We were left in the hallway. The other captives run outside as fast as they can out of joy and excitement for finally we are all going to be free.

Tumango ako bilang sagot. Hindi nila kami pakawawalan ng ganito na lamang kung hindi totoong nahanap na nila ang kanilang tunay na pakay. The witch who cursed the higher ranks was also fooled by the fake news and got at ease for she was caught.

“Mystia!” We both faced the direction of the voice. Frius cut our distance with long strides. He embrace his wife in his arms the moment he reached us.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry,” he kept murmuring those words.

“Hey, what’s that sorry for?” Mystia hold both his arms. “You don’t have to say sorry. Aren’t you so brave to come here and risked your life just to saved me?” Mystia softly smile and lovingly stared at her husband. “Ang tapang-tapang mo, Frius. Wala kang dapat ihingi ng pasensya sa akin.”

“I love you,” Frius softly said.

Mystia nodded and muttured back his words. “Mabuti pa umuwi na rin tayo. Gusto ko nang matiya ang anak natin.” She was in tears again.

Frius nodded and then pressed a kiss on her forehead. “We’re coming home. We’re coming home to our daughter,” he murmured softly.

***

“Ang dami mong ikukwento sa’kin.” Mystia nudge my shoulder. I smiled at her at put my right hand on hers that gripped my arms.

Frius walked behind us while we walked towards their main door. “I’ll tell you everything.”