Chapter Nineteen: One a Great King

"This way, my lady," Enkidu ushered you into a small house. He swept the curtain aside to make way for your entrance. Soon after you got in, he followed close. "Enkidu!" a loud voice resonated throughout the entirety of the small vicinity. You looked towards the direction of the voice and there, you saw a bunch of men sitting around a table. They all looked your way but they didn't seem to notice you.

Enkidu waved his hand to acknowledge those people. Out of curiosity, you asked, "Who are those?" 

"They are the king's men," he answered. "Uruk's warriors."

You turned your gaze towards them once more. They were a bunch of happy people enjoying their breakfasts at the company of each other. "Come," Enkidu said as he guided you across rows of empty tables.

Once you've reached the table where the men gather, you took a step back to stand behind Enkidu. "How was your last journey?" The man who called Enkidu asked. Enkidu replied but you paid no attention to his words as your eyes looked around to scan the place. Now that you've got a better look around, you noticed that these men are the only ones in this house, including the workers of this place.

You noticed some people poke their heads through the curtain as if they are wary of something before getting in. Unfortunately, none of the people who peeked went in. That was when a heavy atmosphere crashed upon you. It was as if they were avoiding something... or rather, someone.

You were feeling this strange pang in your chest since the moment you left the ziggurat and came across the people. The streets you walked were bustling with people minding their own businesses. Some turned to great Enkidu, and the others looked away as you passed. Some brimmed with joy at the sight of Enkidu and others hurried to walk away.

"Is that lady here with you today?" You heard someone ask. Glancing behind, you were welcomed by the eyes of the men looking at you. "She is," Enkidu answered. You completely turned around to greet them. "Good day," you said.

"Please have a seat!" One of them stood up to offer their chair. "Thank you, I'm fine," you replied, raising your hand in a gesture for the man to sit back. The men and you had a staring contest that lasted a few seconds until one of them suddenly realized who you were.

He gasped, making him the center of attention. "Could you be..." he halted for a moment. All eyes were once again back on you. "...the princess?" By the end of his statement, the men rushed to move out of their seats and knelt in front of you. You were a little surprised and taken back by their sudden actions but this is one thing you were used to.

"A pleasure to meet all of you but please, rise and return to your seats," you said. The men followed obediently. They were all a bunch of big, muscled fellows yet they turn into compliant children at your command. 

Once seated, Enkidu offered you a seat on the chair he got from another table. The men near you moved aside to give space for you and to put an honorific distance in between. This is something you weren't a little bit used to because back in Al-Simr, you didn't want your people to treat you differently just because you were the princess. When you were young, you played with the common children, unlike other royalties who only associate themselves with the nobles.

Gently, you pulled the cloth covering your head down, revealing the golden strands that glimmer even without sunlight. The warriors looked in awe at such magnificence they haven't seen before. One even asked "Are you a goddess?" earning him a chuckle in reply from you.

"My name's (y/n), the princess of Al-Simr," you introduced yourself. "Or should I say, former princess?" You waited for their response but all you got in return were admirable eyes taking in your presence. Enkidu sensed the little bit of awkwardness you felt thus clearing his throat.

"S-sorry, your highness! We didn't mean to stare rudely," one apologized. "It's okay, it's okay," you replied reassuringly.

"Uruk is blessed to have such a lovely lady like you to be its queen."

"I know, right? King Gilgamesh sure landed on a good catch."

The men agreed with each other but at the mention of the king, your mood slightly changed. "Is something wrong, your highness?" You shook your head and turned to look at the men. "No, I'm fine," you replied. "I was just suddenly curious."

"What is it you wish to know, my lady?" one asked. You were a bit hesitant but nothing knows the king's rule better than the people he governs. "How is Gilgamesh..." you stopped for a second. "...as a king?"

For a moment there was silence. "King Gilgamesh is one a great king," one of them answered.

"Yea," another agrees.

"Uruk's economy is at the top. The exchange of goods between Uruk and the other kingdoms had always been smooth."

"You can say that the king is the heart of Uruk."

"What makes you say so?" You asked.

"The king goes on long expeditions every once in a while, gathering all the treasures he can put his hands on. Every time he leaves for too long, Uruk stumbles down."

"Every time he's back, though, Uruk rushes back to its top condition."

"You mean to say, Gilgamesh leaves his people behind to pursue his greed?" You asked, words uncensored.

"W-well, you can say that but I assure you when he's back, the kingdom's all good and going."

"That's not the point!" You butted in. "A king's true treasures are his people. How can he inconsiderate enough to leave them behind in exchange for gold?"

The men were left dumbfounded by your statement as if they're not used to receiving deep care from a noble. "How about the common people?" You asked. "How is Gilgamesh to them?" The room was silent and the men couldn't answer. 

"S-sorry," you apologized at the sudden rise of your tone. "I got carried away."

"Nothing to worry about, your majesty."

"As for your question, I believe it is better for you to see the answer yourself."

"I understand," you replied. "Thank you."

Once again, Enkidu cleared his throat to help set aside any awkwardness upon the air. Right after, the meals were served at your table. You made sure to properly thank the girl who brought it over before digging in. You may not like the king but you certainly like Uruk's cuisine. It is undeniably delectable to your taste.

While eating, the men went on to tell you about Uruk's topography. Your excitement over the topic washed over the earlier atmosphere of the place. Apparently, Uruk is surrounded by two rivers that eventually meet into one large body of water.

When you asked how large is this body of water, "It extends as far as your eyes can see into the horizon," was the answer you got. The only bodies of water you've ever seen are those present near Al-Simr. There was a river nearby your kingdom providing irrigation for the crops. Ajamu once mentioned that there was a time he followed the river to see how its end looks like and he told you that at the end of it was a massive body of water a million times bigger than your oasis.

To the east, there are mountain ranges that indeed act as a barrier and a defensive wall that protects Uruk. "We've passed by them on the way here, my lady," Enkidu said but then again, from up above, you can only see its peaks. To the west of Uruk are plateaus with forests on both the northern and southern sides of it.

Uruk is indeed a huge nation. Twice? No, thrice? Thrice the size of Al-Simr. For a moment you were overwhelmed by the size of this empire you are about to rule over. For a kingdom so big, you wondered how Gilgamesh is able to govern it. Maybe his men are right: the king is one a great king.