Chapter Twenty-Six: Prejudice

You sat on your bed, half-naked, as you let your eyes adjust to the light. Your muscles were sore from all the running you've done yesterday. You regret nothing, though. Seeing that majestic sunset pulled you together, knocked some sense into yourself, and helped you back up your feet. 

You arrived at Uruk during the latter half of the other day; yesterday can be counted as your first full day. Today will be your second, bringing you a day closer to the marriage. So much has happened since then and you never knew how tired you were until you hit the sheets last night. 

You never imagined being out and exposed so soon but as things were the way they were yesterday, you had no choice. You imagined keeping a low profile for a few more days before making yourself known but seeing as how things are going on around here, you can't help but interfere immediately. After all, there is no time for you to go sulking in the corners.

You slowly stood, still feeling the pain in your legs despite your careful manner of standing. It's not like it was a big deal, though. It's not like you'll die from this. Besides, mock battles with Ajamu gave you more intense pain than this.

"Good morning, your highness!" A soft voice called from beyond your curtains. You didn't want to make any other unnecessary movements but you remembered Ajamu telling you that stretching, and moving your sore muscles is actually better than letting them stay frozen in place. 

You walked towards the curtain and swept it aside to greet Siduri. "Hello, Siduri. Good morning," you said. For a moment, you held your finger out to touch the bounded field's surface before you closed your eyes. You focused your energy on the magic circuits located at the tip of your finger and adjusted the barrier's security, giving Siduri the permission to enter. 

Afterward, you opened your eyes. "All done," You said. "Come in." You motioned for her to follow you inside. Still seeing the presence of the barrier, she took a step in. Surprisingly, she passed through, realizing your recent adjustments to the field. She took a glance behind her, at the doorway she just passed through before looking back at you.

"Thank you, my lady," she said as she gave a small bow. "It's an honor."

"It's nothing," you replied. "It's not like you'll murder me in my slumber, would you?" With that, you gave a soft chuckle.

"Oh, I would never dare to," she replied with the same light energy as yours. "Have you slept well?" 

You headed towards your bed and sat over its edge once more. "Yes, I had a good night's sleep," you responded while stretching your arms upward and your legs forward. "My body's kind of sore, though, but it's not a big deal."

"A cold bath can help soothe the soreness, your highness," Siduri said, indirectly suggesting for you to hop into the baths immediately. You looked towards her standing figure and noticed the stone tablet she held in her hands. It could be Ticus's new entry but you believed it was your schedule for today.

"What do we have in line for today?" You asked her while eyeing the tablet. Siduri was not surprised at how well and fast you catch on to things that's why she immediately went on and cleared her throat before looking at the tablet.

"We'll start the day with your usual morning routine which is...?" She stopped for a while and glanced questioningly at you. "I prefer bathing first before breakfast," you answered.

"Right," Siduri replied before looking back at the tablet to continue. She was hesitant to tell you the next part but proceeded, anyway. "For breakfast, you'll have it with the king's father today."

Your eyes widened as your head snapped towards Siduri. "I'm sorry?" You asked, unsure if what you've heard was correct. "You'll have breakfast with the king's father today, your highness." For a moment, you were dumbstruck.

"You mean... King Lugalbanda?" You asked, earning a smile from Siduri. "I see you've heard of him already," she said. She gave a nod afterward, giving you affirmation. You felt a wave of mixed emotions wash over you. You never actually thought that King Lugalbanda was alive since you knew he had been alive for a long time now and you've assumed that the Gods have granted him a peaceful rest already but that's where you're wrong.

You started wondering what kind of a person he is. Is he like Gilgamesh with the same amount of arrogance and tyranny over his people? But you remembered Elia telling you that King Lugalbanda was a peaceful ruler. Does he know about the events of the past two days? If so, does he hate you for treating his son the way you've done? Questions flooded your mind as you sat there, waiting for all the information to sink in.

Siduri continued. "After breakfast—this is optional, though, well at least for now—you can accompany the king while listening to the daily reports. After that, the afternoon is free for you to spend however you like, your highness." She looked at you and waited for an answer. After a minute of you staring into space, she finally called. "Your highness?"

"Oh, sorry," you said, shaking your head. "Do you have any questions?" Siduri asked. "No, let's get on with today," you replied, regaining your professionalism. You once again stood and headed towards the chest at the corner of your room to get a change of clothes. Once done, Siduri accompanied you to the bathing chambers. When asked if you'd wish to enjoy your own company, you declined. You requested for Siduri to be there.

As she sat by the wall, a little bit away from the pool, you began asking questions. "Siduri, how long have you been the High Priestess?"  Your question took her a bit by surprise but nevertheless, she answered. "I was the king's advisor ever since he was crowned."

"You've known each other for a long time now?"

"Ever since we were young."

Silence filled the open space as you submerged yourself deeper into the water

Silence filled the open space as you submerged yourself deeper into the water. Only your nose up was left untouched by the pool. You don't know how and why Siduri and Enkidu are close to the king. Who are you to judge, though? You've only known Gilgamesh for at least two days. You suddenly came to a realization that maybe what's wrong isn't on him but you. You just can't picture yourself ever being on the same page with someone like him considering the large difference between attitude and beliefs.

At some point, you wanted to know more about Gilgamesh. Why was he like that? What sort of things happened in his past? Who is he, really? At the very core of his being, who is he? You can just ask Siduri and you're sure she'll give an answer right away but the answers to these questions can only be given by him. Otherwise, any answer you get regarding this is only hearsay.

You began to suddenly feel a little guilty. All this short while, have you been running in prejudice? Still, though, your feelings are valid. You feel this way for him because of what he has done and said, and what he showed you. Above all, the way he rules with tyranny is just one thing you can't let slip. Whatever you're willing to do to bring in change is not just for the sake of Al-Simr but also for him and for his people. May the gods grant you guidance in walking down this path.