Chapter Thirty-Nine: Sacred Enthronement

"What would you like to wear, your highness?" Siduri asked as she rummaged through your chest of clothes, humming in thought while doing so. "Would you prefer to wear clothes of Al-Simr or Mesopotamia's?"

"The latter one would do,"  you replied. You were no longer a part of Al-Simr and there was little to no reason to go about their garments. After all, you're also no longer a foreigner to Uruk.

It was about time for you to embrace it with certainty and above all, love. One can never lead the people to prosperity without it. Alongside it, comes the collective well-being and if still possible, the individual one.

Your usual routine right after the bath was nothing out of the ordinary. If there was one thing new, it's the endless congratulatory greetings you've received in town. Those of which you weren't sure whether to be thankful for or not.

As planned, you continued to invite the common people to another banquet that is to take place later once the sun has set. The commemoration of your enthronement is better celebrated with the mass.

Siduri had you wear a piece of clothing that was easy to remove so as to not give you a hard time taking off during your coronation later on. It was a piece fo clothing similar to the one you've worn the night before when you were headed to the king's chamber.

The next thing you knew, you were being led into one of the chambers used for this specific ceremony—one brimming with sacredness. It was a closed-off space with no windows and only one entrance; the torches perched on the walls the only source of light.

For a moment, it reminded you of home. Your edifice emitted the same vibes as this particular chamber—dim and mysterious. Indeed, you've never closed your doors to the people but they can only go as far as the dining halls and throne room; anywhere beyond that was forbidden. You have your fair share of secrets, to begin with.

Inside the chamber was Gilgamesh, Siduri, Enkidu, and the great king. When your eyes met King Lugalbanda's you felt a shiver run up your spine. The great king was a jolly person and this was the first time you ever saw him so serious.

By the middle of the room, the crown nestled on a small cushion atop the table. It was glorious—as glorious as the great king himself. It was golden just as much as the majority of everything you ever saw in the king's chamber.

On top of it were three symbols of the sun much smaller than the great king's. Because you were the daughter of the gods, specifically the goddess of the sun's, the crown's details made it feel like it was really made for you.

According to Siduri, the last queen to have ever worn that crown was the Goddess Ninsun, the mother of Gilgamesh. The king that followed King Lugalbanda had no wife, so the queen's position was vacant for a while.

And so it was a great honor for you to be the next one to wear it after a goddess—a true, living deity that has descended to earth.

Once you were inside, the king has ordered for the chamber to be sealed shut from the outside. Now that you were within had you noticed a tub of water by one end of the room.

When the great king noticed you staring at it, he spoke. "Without further ado, we shall begin," he said, tone unusually so serious. "Princess (y/n) of Al-Simr, please step ahead in front of the tub."

You were given a brief explanation prior to this moment, thanks to Siduri, which is why the next series of events no longer confused you nor took you by surprise.

"Thou shall wash thy hands in order to be freed from all the prohibited things to which thy has to cleanse it from all falsehood and fault that may have issued from it," the great king spoke.

That said, the High Priestess had assisted you by pouring water over your hands in which you rubbed together to cleanse. You followed every direction the great king has ordered.

"Thou shall rinse thy nose to cleanse it from whatever forbidden things thee has smelt."

"Thou shall wash his face in order to be absolved from every shameful thing; thy feet in order to be cleansed from every instance of having walked in rebellious and mistaken paths."

"Thou shall wipe thy head and ears thee wishes to be absolved from every unreasonable thing which is counter to the religious law, and further while wiping thy face from all the acts of disobedience which thee has committed."

All of these—the ablution—were done to cleanse you of all evil. It is the complete removal of all that is sinful and unclean and belongs to your former life.

"Your highness," Siduri said as she motioned for you to undress. You quickly obliged, letting her help you unwrap yourself from the clothing with which Siduri handed to Enkidu once you were bare.

Enkidu walked closer with his eyes cast downward, avoiding your figure. In his hand, he carried a jar of oil with which he traded with the fabrics you once wore. 

You did as told when Siduri asked you to kneel. You could feel the current king's eyes on you as he shamelessly watched you from when you were being undressed until now that Siduri was pouring oil on you. After all, it was nothing he has never seen before.

This was the act of anointing, a significant element of Mesopotamia's coronation ceremony. Once your whole figure was covered in oil and the jar has now been emptied. You were asked to rise.

There was a small portal that opened beside you. It looked the same as the portals that Enkidu opened back in Al-Simr, and the ones Gilgamesh used last night. One after another, there were fabrics that came out of it.

This was the king's treasury, as you were told of and the portals were called the Gates of Babylon with which the king stores his finest treasures, ones he only ever gives those he deems worthy of it.

"Let me help you with that, your highness," Siduri said as she took the garments protruding out of Babylon. You muttered a small thank you, letting her work her way around your body.

The dress had the same shade as the one you wore yesterday—the color of flames: red. It was made of fabrics and feathers the king has collected on his expeditions from around the world. 

The said garment had one sleeve over one shoulder, running diagonally across your chest as the other side was tucked beneath the junction of your arm and shoulder, and falls to a length right over your ankles.

Siduri took time in covering one of your shoulders—the one with which the sleeve clings to—in a fabric identical to the one wrapped around you, covering your arms. Next, she took out jewels of pure gold that contrast the fiery plumes of your dress.

There was a pair of armlets, one much thicker than the other, which she attached to the upper limb of your exposed arm. To your wrist, she placed a bracelet made of gold beads and a pair of pearl ones to the other.

You wore three pieces of long beaded necklaces that rest down until your chest: one made of jade that had several golden feathers as pendants; another one of ruby: and one a mix of sapphire and gold.

On your neck clung three shorter necklaces: one made of bronze and gold, another of rubies and gold, and the last—one with golden feathers. On your ears dangled large golden earrings to finish off the look.

Siduri stepped back to admire your features, a sigh of content leaving her lips. The last garment is the crown and you were more than ready to receive it.

Once all those were said and done, King Lugalbanda approached you with the crown in his hands. You knelt down in front of him to show your respect—to the great king, the crown, and the honor that came from being the one to carry it.

Gently, King Lugalbanda placed the crown upon your head. It fitted perfectly just as much as it did the former queen where he was once again reminded of his beloved. 

Slowly, you rose and as you did so, the great king, Siduri, and Enkidu knelt in return. Finally, after years and years of waiting, Mesopotamia has finally had another queen.